Data Analyst Intern
We spend a great deal of our time online. Whether it’s for information, commerce, or entertainment, each of us has come to depend on what we research, discover, and share. Publishers – those who create and curate content – are what makes the Internet great. Yet these publishers practice their craft largely alone, in siloes – without reference points or insightful understanding about where they sit in the grand scheme of things. To add to the challenge, once a Publisher’s content is in the wild, then the task of building engagement, growing a loyal following and enriching the engagement with that following can sometimes feel like shots in the dark or worse, a black box. Moreover, making money from their craft can be a complex task for any independent publisher who might prioritize generating content first and money second.
Sovrn believes that independent publishers are the Internet's vibrancy. As a partner and advocate to tens of thousands of independent publishers, Sovrn provides tools, technologies and services that help publishers (a) make money; (b) get distribution to grow their audience; and (c) access a massive data commons providing extraordinary insights.
The landscape of content networks, adtech vendors, and the myriad of buy-side / sell-side companies can be a complete maze for any reasonable person to decipher. Sovrn cuts through the noise and simplifies things with a basic, straightforward mission:
Help content creators do more of what they want to do – and less of what they don’t.
- Perform in a fast paced organization as a member of the Data Science Team
- Be able to work semi-independently to solve complicated tasks, research solutions and implement against project plans
- Partner with engineers, business analysts, and operations to respond to ad hoc requests and manage team functions
- Document and present data findings to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Develop data visualizations and dashboards
- Gain a level of understanding of the ad tech industry - its core metrics, terms, and specific functional knowledge to how data is applied, and identify new valuable data-driven opportunities
- Current student working towards a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- Incoming junior or senior
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills as applied to data volumes in the terabyte to petabyte order of magnitude
- Fluid communication skills - ability to ask insightful questions, and share conclusions articulately through use of visualizations and data tables
- Studying / basic knowledge of querying data stores using SQL language
- Familiarity with analytical tools such as R or Python
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of R, Python, Spark, Hive, Hadoop, MySQL or Tableau
- Knowledge and experience with real-time data architectures
- Exposure to predictive modeling techniques such as linear models, regression models, and trees
Reports to: Sr. Director of Data Science
Meet Some of Sovrn's Employees
Director, Demand Operations
Alaina works with advertisers and technology buyers to enable and encourage them to place or buy ads on the publishing site. Then, she helps customers understand their ad’s performance.
Back to top