Operations Engineers are the maintenance experts at Southern who go from one commercial/residential property to another and provide upkeep to the systems and equipment. They solve dozens of problems a day—HVAC, low pressure boilers, pumps, plumbing, ventilation, refrigeration and more.
If you’re passionate about spotting technical problems and figuring out the solutions, we want to talk to you!
As a Operations Engineer at Southern, your typical day could include:
- Overseeing systems of varying design and application on multiple properties
- Operational responsibility for multiple boiler and/or mechanical facilities on multiple apartment home and/or commercial communities
- Ensuring uninterrupted service of major plumbing, electrical, ventilation and emergency systems for the public safety and comfort of our residents and fellow team members
- Coordinating contractor repairs by procuring and submitting proposals, and scheduling with supervisor, property manager and service manager
- Creating and maintaining a current inventory of each physical plant and mechanical room equipment indicating type, make, model and serial numbers and extent of servicing.
- 75 apartment-home communities and 1M SF of Commercial space on which to expand your career
- Competitive hourly rates
- Mileage reimbursement or company vehicle
- Comprehensive benefits that are way above the industry average (see all the details below)
- An award winning team of property management professionals to work and learn with
- Career growth and top industry training in our corporate university
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience working with boilers, chillers, pumps and other mechanical systems
- Mathematical ability to perform necessary calculations for the repair or installation of equipment
- Ability to read blueprints, specifications and technical manuals
- A thorough knowledge of hand and power tools, precision measuring and testing instruments
- General working knowledge of heat exchangers, gages, heating/cooling units, refrigeration and ventilation equipment, plumbing fixtures and appurtenances, and total systems such as: plumbing, HVAC, two and four-pipe heating/cooling and steam distribution
- Ability to repair or replace all piping (water or steam), plumbing fixtures and appurtenances or other maintenance requirements
- Ability to supervise assertively
- Knowledge of occupational and materials hazards and understanding of the necessary safety precautions
- Working knowledge of water treatment equipment, its use, and the addition of chemicals to maintain proper limits to prevent deposits and protect physical assets
- Ability to recognize, establish and deal with priorities promptly, and plan ahead for emergencies
- Must obtain and maintain all federal, state and local licensure as required by law, the minimum being a 2nd grade stationary engineer’s license.
The Benefit of Benefits:
- Health and Dental Insurance for you, your spouse and/or immediate family at a remarkably low cost
- Dollars back on eye exams, lenses and frames
- Group Term Life and AD&D Insurances
- A Pension Retirement Plan
- Leave: paid holidays, paid time off, pay for bereavement/funereal leave and jury duty
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Continuing Education
- Rental Discounts at our apartment-home communities
- Uniforms and weekly cleaning services for service team members
At reduced rate additional cost, you can customize your package to include:
Long Term Care, AFLAC, MET Life Home/Auto, Section 125, 401K Plan, 401K Roth
Benefit eligibility is dependent on Team Member Status and benefits differ depending on whether your status is full-time (40 hrs/week), modified full-time (30-39 hrs/week), or part-time (1-29 hrs/week). All benefits are subject to cancellation and/or change at any time.
Meet Some of Southern Management Corporation's Employees
Special Projects Coordinator
Be-Be collaborates with teams across the entire Southern Management portfolio to coordinate resident outreach and initiative programs for all communities.
Back to top