Senior Data Scientist (Search) (f/m/d)
What's next in music happens on SoundCloud first. As the world’s largest open audio platform, SoundCloud is powered by a connected community of creators, listeners and curators who share, discover and influence what’s new, now and next in music and audio.
We're looking for someone to join our search team as an embedded Data Scientist. You will be a member of a diverse and skilled group of Data Scientists that operate across the organisation in product teams, business intelligence and analytics. As a Senior Data Scientist on search, you will take the lead on refining the search experience using your expertise in information retrieval and machine learning.
Our Data Scientists work on a wide range of products and problems, embedded with engineering teams having direct impact on our millions of daily active users. We want people that come equipped with an open mind, creativity and a get-it-done attitude.
About the role
In this role you will be responsible for leading the efforts to build data products and internal solutions for some of the hardest problems in search. You will see projects through from start to finish performing research, prototyping solutions, production deployment at scale and A/B testing to validate your solutions. We love specialists with deep experience, and we expect to use that experience alongside a Data Scientist’s ability to be general and tackle a wide range of problem areas.
Some projects you might work on include:
- Build and evaluate ranking models to improve the search experience of our users;
- Analyse user journeys and derive success metrics to support product decisions;
- Applying natural language processing (NLP) techniques to search queries to better understand user-intent and misspellings;
You are a Senior Data Scientist with a curious analytical mindset, experience with software engineering, and a track record of shipping search solutions at large scale. You have a broad toolkit that spans languages and runtimes, and you can get up-to-speed with new tech stacks quickly. You enjoy working cross-functional with Engineers, Product Managers and peer Data Scientists. You have:
- A Ph.D. or M.Sc. in a relevant field such as computer science or machine learning (preferred but not required)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a full-time industry position (not academic)
- A deep understanding of the lifecycle of a Data Science project, with experience in research, solution development, tuning and inspecting models, etc.
- Experience with Scala, Python or similar languages that are used to ship production models and systems
- Experience wrangling very large datasets by writing and maintaining data processing pipelines with Hadoop, Spark, BigQuery, Redshift, or similar
- An ability to tell a story about data, to explore and reveal patterns, and to communicate to stakeholders about your discoveries and hypothesis
- Worked in cross-functional teams and are able to work in multiple parts of a tech stack
Diversity at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization; they help us build a social platform and global community where anyone can create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, and strive to develop an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute.
See Inside the Office of SoundCloud
SoundCloud is the world’s largest music streaming catalog that helps people share, discover, and influence global music culture. Due to the open, authentic nature of the platform—plus its connected community of listeners, curators and creators—SoundCloud is constantly driving culture and creativity forward while creating new trends. In many cases, what’s breaking or new everywhere else is born on SoundCloud.
Back to top