Principal BackEnd Engineer
- Flexible / Remote
The trillion-dollar insurance industry is built primarily on decades-old technology and custom on-premise systems, which are prohibitively costly to both maintain and update. The space is ripe for innovation, and that's why insurers are racing to modernize their technology platforms.
That's where Socotra comes in.
Socotra is the first productized, cloud-based core data management platform for insurers. With flexibility and agility as our primary values, we enable insurers to launch new innovative insurance products on the order of months -- not years. And at a fraction of the cost. Powered by a modern tech stack and architecture, our platform supports the full end-to-end insurance policy lifecycle, including policy management, underwriting, billing, claims, and reporting. We're a fast-growing mid-stage startup with customers ranging from InsurTech startups to Fortune 100 insurers. Join us in driving innovation in the InsurTech space! The impact can’t be greater, and the rewards can’t be bigger.
We are looking for a talented Principal Backend Engineer to join our expanding engineering team in San Francisco. As a key member of the engineering team, you will help build, evolve, and scale our core technology platform to drive product innovation and success. This is your opportunity to make a big impact at a high-growth startup with an expanding client list of Fortune 500 insurers and backed by prominent investors!
- You are a principal engineer with significant experience designing and building scalable, enterprise-grade cloud-native applications using a microservices architecture. You have designed and built significant parts of an enterprise application from scratch, as part of a team, and put them in production.
- You have 8+ years of experience developing production-quality Java code (or C# or similar OO language).
- You have deep expertise with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres, and deep expertise with SQL queries and optimizing database performance.
- You have a solid understanding of common data structures and algorithms, and OO design.
- You have strong communication and leadership skills, and the ability to drive the technical direction for a product.
- You have worked at a startup or technology company.
Nice to Haves
- Significant experience developing production quality Go code strongly preferred.
- Experience designing APIs that are used directly by customers.
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Top-tier health benefits
- Flexible vacation policy
- Competitive Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA) for Dental and Vision
- Geo Blue / Supplemental International Travel Insurance for Business or Leisure Travel
- Yoga classes on Monday & Friday
This position can be based in San Francisco or remote and includes salary and equity commensurate with experience and location.
Back to top