Smashbox-Designer, Visual Merchandising
The designer will support the global visual merchandising and retail design team by conceptualizing and creating 2D visual assets for all visual merchandising and retail points of sale for Smashbox. This person will own the design process from brainstorming sessions with the creative team, ideating, creating full size mockups, through final approval stages for the Smashbox retail formats. This person will drive to deliver consistently branded graphics and layouts that work across all of our retail formats, including gondolas, events, window displays, kiosks, pop-up shops, department stores and freestanding stores. These branded graphic solutions will take into consideration strategic merchandising objectives, brand storytelling and functional communication needs for all global markets. The associate design director must be able to manage many projects and work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment to meet tight deadlines. In addition, this person will be instrumental in creating a cohesive library of assets and files and will work closely with the production team to handoff files. In addition, must have a strong organizational sensibility in terms of asset management and file maintenance. This person will report into VP, Creative with matrix to Executive Director, Global Visual Merchandising to ensure that that all Smashbox brand consistency and quality are upheld.
- Partner with Creative Director and senior members of creative team to align on key objectives and design direction for new launches, in-store animations, and branded asset development.
- Conceptualize, create and produce graphics for seasonal product launches for the Smashbox gondolas. Ideate and output multiple options with a variety of design solutions across various merchandising formats including International markets.
- Lead the development of compelling graphic solutions that tell a branded visual story for large format installations such as events, kiosks, pop-ups, department stores, and freestanding stores.
- Create layouts that are scalable across formats such as windows, counter units, endcaps, and in-store. Must take into consideration things like visual restrictions based on tester/stock placement or ergonomic relationship.
- Analyze the current Smashbox in-store presentation in our various retail channels and identify ways to optimize the brand story, navigation, and product communication.
- Create visual solutions for international visual merchandising graphic requests that are outside of the quarterly seasonal updates.
- Mock up ideas at partial or full scale in preparation for weekly merchandising meeting review.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to discuss objectives and strategies of upcoming product launches. Attend meetings and other relevant discussions as necessary to gain approval and alignment from senior management.
- Understand the industry landscape by conducting store visits, identifying trends, and best practices.
- Manage and projects and prioritize according to due dates and urgency.
- Prepare presentation materials and models for internal meetings.
- Keep files and assets well organized and ready for hand off to production team.
- As needed, assist in areas of production to complete projects and support the merchandising and retail team.
- BFA in graphic design preferred
- 5 years at beauty, fashion, retail or agency experience
- Strong understanding of branding and graphic storytelling within the retail environment
- A refined and seasoned designer, a connoisseur of typography, and a lover of current trends and culture.
- Proactive self starter with team player mentality and preference to work in a close knit, highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority projects in a very fast-paced environment, and react with a sense of urgency.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity to typography, messaging and scale across visual merchandising displays and retail formats.
- Must be a conceptual thinker and problem solver with the ability to work within brand guidelines
- Meticulous attention to detail, highly organized and ability to multitask in fast paced environment.
- Must be willing to take on a variety projects (no task is too big or small).
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite 5 or higher.
Meet Some of SmashBox Cosmetics's Employees
Executive Director, North America Marketing
Breanna partners with top retailers and Smashbox’s internal teams to conceptualize, develop, and execute Smashbox’s marketing strategies for North America.
Back to top