Executive Director, Global Creative Design & Art Direction, Smashbox
The Estée Lauder Companies are the global leader in prestige beauty - delighting consumers with transformative products and experiences, inspiring them to express their individual beauty.
Everyone has a story. Ours is original and authentic and sets us apart from every other beauty brand. We're proud of our story, and this is how we tell it: We live for lipstick. We get excited about primers. (No, seriously, we do.) But mostly, we love sharing our makeup secrets with you. Why? Because creativity and collaboration are at the core of our DNA. We are the only brand born out of a legendary photo studio - Smashbox Studios in Los Angeles - where major photographers, celebrities and makeup artists converge to create iconic images every day.
About the Job
He/she will be responsible for maintaining and elevating the global image of Smashbox Cosmetics to support its longstanding strong reputation as a global leader of prestige beauty. The Creative Director will work with the Global VP Creative Director to make sure the studio heritage comes through thru on all creative executions, including storytelling, copy, photography, video, brand guidelines, digital, social, and ecommerce.
He/she is expected to deliver thought-provoking, disruptive, breakthrough creative direction to help illustrate, attract, and engage stakeholders in important initiatives. Additionally, the Creative Director will be responsible for all end-to-end planning and execution of Creative Concepts, working with in-house resources and agency partners to design and develop creative from concept, pre-production, and post.
He/she will drive creative strategy and execution with a digital first mind set, creating a holistic digital creative that can be dispersed into various mediums and translated across all touch points of the company. This role will lead and develop creative team and organization design while continuing to up-skill function, and ensure that creative resources are in place to carry out the business plan, including partnerships with agencies. He/she will be responsible for impeccable quality across all Creative output.
The position requires deep digital and photo shoot expertise, as well as the ability to serve as a thought-partner and have an acute ability to translate complex business concepts into breakthrough creative. Being able to manage up/down and sideways is essential. Being able to anticipate what's next, work in a fast-paced environment, have a calm, positive and driven attitude, as well as mentoring are keys to their success.
About Your Responsibilities
- Develops 360 campaigns to support overall brand strategy and activation with minimal guidance
- Ensures that all designs adhere to brand guidelines with minimal guidance.
- Ensures collaboration with VM and Package Design teams to enhance consumer communication and overall retail experience.
- Oversee development of Global Creative led digital marketing asset creation including social content, influencer content, all non-promotional site content and other digital assets including video.
- Planning, implementation and managing a variety of creative projects within agreed budgets and timelines.
- Manage and update the Smashbox Global Creative Brand Style Guide and help facilitate locally relevant creative for our regional partners.
- Responsible for delivering guidelines and leadership to regional Creative team that result in speed to market of locally relevant creative assets that consistently align to global vision.
- Must be able to concept, storytelling, create decks, and sell work across disciplines
- Must be able to work with photographers, videographers, prop stylists, producers, models and influencers to oversee a photoshoot or video production
- Must be able to work with post-production editors and sound to create video assets
- Must be able to make photo selects and work with post production
- Develops new, innovative 2D/Digital concepts in line with brand strategy
- Designs and concepts innovative, locally relevant digital experiences to support brand strategy
- Leverages a digital and mobile-first mindset in design, showing awareness of competitive landscape, trends and emerging technologies14
- Provides guidance and direction on regional adaptions while understanding need for local nuance with guidance (if applicable)
- Manages and updates style guides to support and guide regional adaptation
- Lead, manage, develop and inspire the Creative team, both day to day and long term - engage team in the strategic vision and delivery activities
- Direct full scope of Global led asset creation by channel, platform and retailer across categories. Collaborate with cross-functional North America teams, Global teams and outside agencies (as applicable).
- Oversee coordination of all needs for photo and video shoots (i.e., product comps, props, etc.)\
- Drive creative strategy and execution with a digital first mind set, creating a holistic digital creative that can be dispersed into various mediums and translated across all touch points of the company.
- Lead and develop creative team and organization design while continuing to up-skill function.
- Ensure that creative resources are in place to carry out the business plan, including partnerships with agencies.
- Responsible for impeccable quality across all Creative output.
- Digital- and mobile-first mindset
- Global mindset
- Awareness of emerging technologies
- Creative integration across all media/sales channels
- Drive for innovation and disruption with luxury mindset (is a plus)
- Experience managing regional execution against global guidelines (is a plus)
How You Will be Successful
- Applies new and different ways of thinking to generate new ideas/opportunities
- Encourages self & others to be creative in approach to work
- Influences externally and internally to gain commitment, agreement and support
- Actively builds relationships
- Creates and sustains environment of trust and collaboration
- Adapts to new environments, processes and teams
- Proactively seeks diversification of knowledge, skills and abilities
- Keeps updated on the business environment and economic situations and understands the impact of the changes on the business
- Strong business sense, with an understanding of how to leverage creative to drive business.
- Track record of success in a digitally-driven creative environment, preferably within luxury brands.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong project management experience.
- Highly developed design sense and desire to produce elevated, brand-building, and innovative work.
- Active learner - staying ahead of industry, design, social media trends and technology.
- Superior organization and time management skills.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects from concept to completion under varying time constraints.
- Excellent type/design skills, and conceptual design skills.
- Possesses an excellent knowledge of design software - including In-Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects.
- 10+ years in a highly productive creative environment.
- B.A. and M.A. in Graphic Design or fine art from a reputable design/art school.
Back to top