Director, North America Visual Merchandising Operations, Smashbox
The director will lead North America Visual Merchandising Operations from a full service perspective encompassing strategy, operations, logistics, and project management. He/she will oversee the fast-paced seasonal launch cycle of fixture updates for North America open sell gondolas as well as support new door openings and retail installations. He/she owns the budgets
and timelines and will personally manage the high volume Sephora and Ulta accounts. He/she will work closely with sales, marketing, and creative to align in the vision and liaise regularly with fixture and graphic vendors. This person leads a team of 3 to support the North America business, as well as partners with the Director of International for global consistency.
Visual Merchandising Operations and Logistics (35%):
- Serve as project lead for Sephora, Sephora inside JCPenney, and Ulta accounts, from planning through execution cycle.
- Work closely with global marketing to validate launch calendar with regards to SKU fit and packaging sizes.
- Align with sales account directors to ensure new product launches and discontinued SKUs are considered in the launch planning process for optimized storytelling and sales productivity for gondola and secondary animations.
- Create maps that show progression of launches and product planning season over season.
- Create excel-based SKU assortment sheets based on the master marketing global product codes per retailer that accurately reflect the season's offerings, pricing and code numbers based on the launch plan by season.
- With team, design and develop the seasonal gondola updates and displays needed for optimal launch plan.
- Review and edit technical drawings and fixture prototypes with designers to ensure quality standards, artwork layout, product fit and SKU count is accurate.
- Work closely with the graphics production team manager to ensure copy, art direction, and technical drawings are handed over with clear direction.
- Proofread graphics to ensure copy and pricing are accurate and that communication and artwork is globally consistent.
- Review fixture prototypes and edit as needed to ensure optimized presentation and high quality standards are met.
- Proofread instruction sheets that are sent from fixture vendor to retailer for accuracy.
- Work with Estée Lauder 3D rendering software company (IWD) for planning and guidelines purposes.
- Work within Estée Lauder corporate systems as needed to support visual merchandising directives.
- Understand process of VM logistics, such as code numbers, shipments of displays through ELC warehouses.
- With team, oversee the fiscal operating expense and capital budget planning, spending, and accounting process. Estimate budget for upcoming seasons and ensure spending is aligned with the design.
Project Management (35%):
- Responsible for managing timelines and budgets for retailer seasonal updates and keeping projects moving.
- Communicate deliverables clearly and be proactive to make recommendations to prioritize projects should delays arise.
- Manage all communications with fixture and graphic vendors to ensure timelines, budget, and quality standards are met.
- Meet with cross-functional teams such as creative, marketing and sales teams to validate timelines and gain approvals.
- Lead and/or attend all necessary meetings with retailers, vendors and team members that support the business.
- Create, organize and maintain necessary documents, excel spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations.
Team Leadership and Collaborative Relationships (20%):
- Lead and develop a team of 3. Meet regularly with full team as well as individually to delegate, prioritize, and review.
- Help to foster an environment to optimize team dynamics, communication, and productivity.
- Take a broad look at the visual merchandising process with team members and identify organizational efficiencies.
- Work closely with VM counterparts who lead international, creative operations, retail design, and graphic design.
- Work closely with global marketing to understand new product launches, SKUs, and discontinuation cadence.
- Develop an understanding of the overall Smashbox North American business, particularly Sephora and Ulta.
- With team, partake in regular store visits to observe trends in displays and graphic communications.
- Utilize consumer insights to evolve Smashbox visual merchandising and drive design choices.
- Bachelors Degree Required
- Minimum 10 years Experience
- Strategic, analytical, detail-oriented driver with exceptional project management skills.
- Displays learning agility and ability to creatively problem-solve in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have experience with SKU planning, assortments, display and graphic production, and fixture systems.
- Strong experience with budget planning. Strong eye for detail in reviewing and editing information.
- Able to process information quickly and draw conclusions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to lead and develop a team of 3, and build collaborative relationships with cross functional teams.
- A multi-tasker who can lead, prioritize, delegate, and deliver against varying deadlines.
- Proficiency in Excel and MS office for MAC.
- Adobe CS a plus.
Meet Some of SmashBox Cosmetics's Employees
Executive Director, North America Marketing
Breanna partners with top retailers and Smashbox’s internal teams to conceptualize, develop, and execute Smashbox’s marketing strategies for North America.
Back to top