Director, Global Package Design, Smashbox
- Culver City, CA
The Estée Lauder Companies are the global leader in prestige beauty - delighting consumers with transformative products and experiences, inspiring them to express their individual beauty.
Everyone has a story. Ours is original and authentic and sets us apart from every other beauty brand. We're proud of our story, and this is how we tell it: We live for lipstick. We get excited about primers. (No, seriously, we do.) But mostly, we love sharing our makeup secrets with you. Why? Because creativity and collaboration are at the core of our DNA. We are the only brand born out of a legendary photo studio - Smashbox Studios in Los Angeles - where major photographers, celebrities and makeup artists converge to create iconic images every day.
About the Job
The primary focus of this position will be to lead the Packaging Design team with concept and design for primary and secondary packaging. A knowledge and love of fashion, design, typography, art and pop culture is essential. The ideal candidate must be a creative problem solver that has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strict/tight deadlines.
About Your Responsibilities
- Lead the Concept and design packaging for primary components and cartons that capture Smashbox's energy and spirit
- Establish and execute the brand strategy to drive packaging innovation for new programs, redesigns and kits that align with the brand's sustainability and cost targets
- Seek out and leverage the latest consumer, design, and technology trends in the packaging space
- Leverage consumer insights to deliver best in class user experiences for packaging
- Concept and design PR sets when needed
- Work closely with cross-functional teams (Packaging Development, Product Development, Marketing, Creative) to define packaging requirements and deliver against objectives
- Manage each project to ensure designs are delivered on time and ensuring strong communication with key stakeholders along the way
- Prepare renderings/models required to convey the design intent
- Review all design directions before release to vendors to ensure accuracy
- Approve drawings and samples from vendors, ensuring accuracy of artwork, color and finishes
- Presentation of selected designs, detail specification to manufacturers of approved designs, liaison with contractors, engineers and manufacturers on development of prototypes, sample approval
- Mentor and coach the Packaging design team
- BFA in Graphic Design, Packaging Design or equivalent
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (an expert in Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign). 3D rendering is a plus
- 8+ years of experience in packaging design
- Experience in beauty, fashion, agency or retail brand experience is preferred
- Must be a connoisseur of typography / graphic design with a love for current trends and culture
- Must have a general understanding of the print process. Knowledge of printing on different materials/surfaces is a plus.
- Proactive self-starter with team player mentality and preference to work in a close knit, highly collaborative environment
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority projects in a very fast-paced environment, and react with a sense of urgency
Back to top