Support Technical Writer
Support Technical Writer—Smartsheet Support
Smartsheet is seeking an experienced Technical Writer to plan, develop, and maintain customer-facing content for the Smartsheet Help Center and eLearning catalog. In this role, you’ll work cross-functionally with the Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and Support teams to understand and write about new product features. You’ll use your passion for concise and easy-to-read content to deliver technical content that is well written, adheres to style guidelines, is formatted correctly, and is delivered on time. You’ll also be tasked with keeping existing content up to date: Smartsheet has a rapid delivery cadence and our content must keep pace.
This role is part of the Smartsheet Technical Support organization and will report to the Senior Customer Experience Manager for Online Resources.
- Immerse yourself in Smartsheet’s product line, learn the technology and features
- Distill specification documents and internal technical FAQs and use the information to create quality, customer-facing content.
- Deliverables include but aren’t limited to:
- Technical articles for the Smartsheet Help website (how to, reference, FAQ, troubleshooting)
- Draft content for eLearning modules or videos
- Internal process documents
- Visual aids in Help content (screenshots, gifs, etc.)
- Work with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to ensure technical accuracy of your work
- Review the work of other writers and mentor them as the develop technical writing expertise
- Track and report on your own project assignments and schedule, working towards hard deadlines
- Use or create document templates to standardize material
- Assist with content production tasks (move content from draft document format to the content management system and publish it)
- Review and compile internal change requests and customer feedback: use this information to recommend and implement content changes
- Maintain the Smartsheet Help style guide
- Interpret and factor in data points (such as data from Google Analytics) to help plan and prioritize your work
- Optimize content for discoverability
Required Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years experience writing or editing content for a variety of audiences on the web
- BA in English, Technical Communication, or a related discipline (or equivalent experience)
- Basic understanding and ability to use HTML formatting
- Understanding of SEO best practices
- Experience with analytics tools (Google Analytics, for example) in the context of making impactful content decisions
- A passion for technology and familiarity with the benefits and challenges of working on a SaaS product
- Understanding of and experience with content strategy (KCS v6 or newer certification a plus)
- Knowledge of or experience in the customer service or support business
- Knack for distilling technical jargon and turning it into clear and professional language
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Experience creating screen shots and/or visual diagrams to promote understanding of complex ideas (experience with Photoshop or an equivalent image compositing tool is a plus)
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to perform basic project management and prioritization tasks
- Experience managing content production processes—for example, moving a document from a draft stage in one tool and formatting and publishing it from another tool
- Experience using one or more content management systems (experience using Drupal 8 or newer is a plus)
- Smartsheet Product Certification preferred by not required
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.
Back to top