Software Development Engineer - Observability
Say goodbye to half day planning meetings, merge conflicts, deploys that take days, and weeks of bug fixing ahead of big bang releases. Say hello to writing your code and automated tests, deploying multiple times a day, having an impact, making customers happy and moving onto the next thing. All while working with committed colleagues in a collaborative environment where everyone is free to contribute to how we evolve our distributed, scalable solutions.
Smartsheet UK is looking for Software Development Engineers (SDE) to join our observability system engineering team. Our teams are small and efficient. We work in an agile environment that stays focused on building systems that make an impact.
This position is based in our Edinburgh office, reporting to our Manager of Engineering.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Building internal tooling for use across the organization
- Day to day operational responsibility for observability platforms
- Implement new systems and improve existing ones
- Maintain existing service APIs and develop new ones
- Participate in system architecture discussions
- Provide best practices and guidance on observability to wider Smartsheet organisation
- Participate in all phases of quality assurance and defect resolution
- Solid knowledge of the Linux operating systems
- Experience with one of Golang, Python, C or a C-style language
- Familiarity of Service Oriented Architectures
- Experience building and supporting highly scalable, high availability applications
- Experience with frequent production releases
- Legally eligible to work in the UK on an ongoing basis
- BS in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent industry experience
Nice to Have:
- Experience with docker or other container technologies
- Experience with distributed database technologies
- Experience with Prometheus or other monitoring platforms
- Experience with linux debugging commands like tcpdump and strace
Perks & Benefits:
- Employer-paid Private Medical and Dental, additional cost for family members
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- Monthly contributions toward your pension
- 33 days paid for Holiday, plus 10 Sick days
- 12 weeks fully paid Paternity/Maternity/Adoption Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks including a counselling membership, salary sacrifice options, commuter discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!
Back to top