Do you like problem-solving and getting things done? Keen on optimization and large scale systems development? Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges
We are looking for a Senior Principal Software Engineer to build a top-tier software organization that will help design and implement Smartsheet's next generation architecture. In this role, you will mentor other engineers, scale the team and can act as a lead on projects. You will drive positive change in the work environment with a consistent track record of delivering on commitments. You will communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical stakeholders.
We offer a competitive package composed of a base salary, annual bonus structure, and equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Ensure all projects that affect the live site are presented in design review
- Ensure all projects that have a system impact undergo a deployment review
- Influence technical direction of the group
- Initiates, leads and delivers significant improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across teams
- Brings teams together, finds and promotes solutions when issues inhibit effectiveness of multiple teams
- Be a Product leader:
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Analyze feature sets for implementation efficiency and performance: facilitates feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Forge strong partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
- Be a Quality Champion:
- Ensure projects are fully tested before being deployed
- Ensure projects have an appropriate amount of automated and manual tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests
- Deployments are monitored to ensure success
- Features are properly monitored and maintained after they go live
- Other duties as assigned
- 15+ years of system architecture experience across multiple languages and frameworks or equivalent experience
- 15+ years’ programming experience with technologies such as Python, Go, Java, C++, SQL
- Proficient in one of the following languages: Java, Go, C/C++"
- 7+ years of web application development
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and problem-solving
- Strong problem-solving, reasoning and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to work independently
- Display creativity, influence, and going above and beyond attitude
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Experience building highly scalable, high availability applications
- Database experience (performance, scalability, availability) is preferred
- Experience Redis, Message Queues, and NoSQL DataBases is preferred
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs is preferred
- Legally eligible to work in the U.K. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- Employer-paid Private Medical and Dental, additional cost for family members
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- Monthly contributions toward your pension
- 25 days paid for Holiday + 8 Bank Holidays
- 12 weeks fully paid Paternity/Adoption Leave
- 20 weeks fully paid Maternity Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses.
- Company Funded Perks including a counseling membership, salary sacrifice options, commuter discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account.
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the UK (role specific)
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to be innovative—join us!