Principal Software Development Engineer - Identity
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast? Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to join our Identity and Authentication team. In this role, will be responsible for driving the design and execution of a platform to support Identity and Access services for Smartsheet with a focus on reliability, scalability, and maintainability.
This position is based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA. Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- Design and build an extensible identity and authentication framework utilizing our existing authentication protocols (SAML, OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect) and partner-facing APIs
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Provide thought leadership, and influence others, by solving tough problems and contributing thoughtful feedback on peer design and code reviews
- Contribute to full SDLC; defining, prioritizing, designing, implementing, testing, and deploying new features for our platform
- Engage in troubleshooting and root cause analysis toward identifying solutions and next steps for production issues.
- Own critical features and work in a self-directed, autonomous manner
- 3+ years architecting a SaaS, IaaS, or PaaS service running in AWS
- 4+ years microservice or SOA based web application development
- 9+ years of combined system architecture experience across multiple OSes, languages and frameworks. Java experience is a plus!
- Previous experience with authentication protocols such as SAML, OAuth 2.0, and/or OpenID Connect
- Experience with NoSQL DBs, Relational DBs, Object Store architectures across globally replicated cloud instances
- Experience building autoscaling distributed systems
- BS or MS in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and problem solving.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Positively influences group/company's technical culture and morale
- Recognizes, takes ownership of complicated technical cross-team issues and drives them to resolution
- Experience with tools such as CloudFormation, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Elastic Load Balancing, Beanstalk, EC2, Route 53, etc is preferred.
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work every day. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.
Back to top