Principal Software Development Engineer
- Boston, MA
We are looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to join our engineering team. You will lead and positively enhance multiple product areas within your functional domain, and influence the broader technology organization. You will provide technical leadership for critical areas that impact customer success.
You will in our office in Boston, MA and will report to our Sr. Manager of Engineering
Our team focuses on distributed decision-making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
Be a Technical Leader:
- Mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Ensure all projects that affect the live site are presented in design review
- Ensure all projects that have a system impact undergo a deployment review
- Influence technical direction of the group
- Lead improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across multiple teams
Be a Product leader:
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Forge partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
Be a Quality Champion:
- Ensure projects are tested before being deployed
- Ensure projects have an appropriate amount of automated and manual tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests.
- Deployments are monitored to ensure success
- Features are properly monitored and maintained after they go live.
- 9+ years of combined system architecture experience across multiple OSes, languages and frameworks or equivalent experience
- 9+ years’ programming experience with technologies such as Java, C#,, C++, SQL
- Proficiency in a modern object-oriented language
- 5+ years web application development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures
- Display creativity and influence.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Experience building highly scalable, high availability applications
- Familiarity with SaaS apps (Google Docs, Office365, Salesforce, etc.) is preferred
- MySQL database experience (performance, scalability, availability) is preferred
- Experience with Apache Lucene, Memcache, RabbitMQ, and NoSQL is preferred
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs is preferred
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match (50% up to 6%, effective May 1st) to help you save for your future
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!
Back to top