Director, Software Development
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and helping people get from idea to impact – fast! Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across different industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for a Director of Software Engineering to build a top-tier software organization that will help design Smartsheet’s next-generation architecture. You will lead and positively enhance multiple product areas within your functional domain, as well as influence the broader technology organization. You will provide technical leadership for essential areas that significantly impact customer success.
You will work from our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to VP of Application Engineering.
Our team focuses on distributed decision-making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
- You have a passion for continuous improvement; have built learning organizations that keep up with the state of the art and are an example and mentor to your team.
- You will deliver products that delight customers while managing the health of the code base through continuous refactoring and management of technical debt.
- You are an expert at agile continuous delivery, DevOps and TDD and will advocate for the culture, processes, and tools required to maintain a frictionless high-quality development environment.
- You dive deep into technology and are on the forefront of the latest tools and strategies and help evaluate, prototype, and introduce them to our team.
- Provide coaching and leadership in software best practices, automated test strategies, and work toward flattening the cost of change curve for our software products and services.
- Demonstrated track record of building high performant and secure applications and build security principals into the DNA of products.
- You communicate proactively to different kinds of audiences, including executives, customers and non-technical team members.
- You are a talent magnet; you have experience finding and developing great talent.
- Positively influence the technical culture and morale across various groups
- 4+ years microservice or SOA based web application development
- 10+ years of combined system architecture experience across multiple OSes, languages and frameworks. Java experience a plus!
- 3+ years managing software organizations > 20 people or equivalent experience.
- Experience with tools such as CloudFormation, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Elastic Load Balancing, Beanstalk, EC2, Route 53, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL DBs, Relational DBs, Object Store architectures across globally replicated cloud instances
- Experience building autoscaling distributed systems
- Your skills are language, framework and toolset agnostic, having worked in at least 3 languages or paradigms, or equivalent experience.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and problem solving.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match (50% up to 6%, effective May 1st) to help you save for your future
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!
Back to top