Corporate Counsel, Privacy
- Bellevue, WA
Smartsheet is looking for an accomplished Corporate Counsel, Privacy to join our collaborative legal team. We are looking for a motivated person with to lead the legal privacy team and advise on a range of privacy and data governance tasks projects
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, we deliver a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes.
You will report to our VP of Legal located in our Bellevue, WA office.
- Work with partners to establish and prioritize the internal privacy program initiatives, goals, and deadlines.
- Maintain expertise in areas of privacy and data protection laws (including GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and CCPA), regulatory guidance, and enforcement actions.
- Manage and support the other members of the legal privacy team.
- Be an escalation point for negotiation, drafting, and review of privacy and data processing contract terms in customer and vendor contracts.
- Provide strategic and practical counsel to internal clients (such as product development, compliance, sales, and people operations) on privacy and data governance principles and requirements.
- Oversee the handling of customer and employee data related requests.
- Contribute to the improvement of standard forms of agreement, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents on contracts and other legal practice areas.
- Manage the development of privacy and data-related policies, including documenting all procedures and controls relating to data handling.
- Provide training to the larger legal team on privacy matters.
- Present program area and initiative status to senior leadership on an ongoing basis.
- Work with members of the legal team in Bellevue, Boston, and London, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Support general business operations and complete special projects.
- 5+ years of relevant experience (in-house experience preferred) with 2 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters.
- CIPP/US, CIPP/E, CIPM and CIPT.
- Transactional skills, including contract drafting and negotiation.
- Experience developing and supporting team members.
- Practical and business-oriented disposition with an eye towards balancing risk.
- Experience with software-as-a-service business model and e-commerce technologies, including location-based services, behavioral targeting, and online advertising.
- Experience developing cross-functional partnerships.
- Team- and service-oriented mentality.
- J.D. from an accredited law school and an active bar membership.
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We’re looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren’t afraid to be innovative—join us!
Back to top