Technical Writer - Documentation Specialist
- Reston, VA
Smartronix, LLC, is an information technology and engineering solutions provider specializing in Cloud Computing, Cyber Security, Health IT, Network Operations, and Mission-Focused Engineering.
The position requires the incumbent to work as a team member with data architects, software engineers and other development team members to prepare technical documentation for software systems. The incumbent will write technical documentation, such as, functional descriptions, system specifications, special reports, and other customer deliverables and documents. Other activities include collecting & organizing information for the preparation of design documents, user manuals, installation guides, and requirement documents. This position will support existing projects/systems, but will shift to focus on implementation of newer technologies. These new system and solution development efforts will be central to the future of the customer and will be both high priority and high visibility. The candidate must have strong technical skills, be able to understand and relay technical concepts verbally and in writing, must be able to function across a number of teams from developers to users, and should be able to engage in both technical and non-technical conversations with customers.
As the Technical Writer, the candidate will be responsible for development of system documentation, documentation edit and reviews, assisting with document repositories and developing repository structures, and working closely with client leads on any special projects as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Design, create, maintain, and update many types of technical documentation, online help, user guides, white papers, design specifications, presentations, and other documents.
- Analyze the needs of the target audience when developing documentation and user materials conduct in-depth interviews with subject matter experts to understand the product, process, or procedure.
- Edit, standardize, or revise material prepared by other writers or personnel.
- Prepare rough drafts of documents (including using graphical representation where appropriate) for review with the project staff and/or customers.
- Demonstrate experience with software development and understand the required artifacts at the various states.
- Attend meetings, create, and distribute meeting minutes. #CJPOST
Smartronix provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- The candidate should have good communication skills, be detailed oriented and quick to learn.
- The candidate must be able to perform a variety of self-managed tasks and have a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
- MUST have an active Top Secret Security Clearance
- At least 5 years' experience collecting and organizing information, and preparing user manuals, training manuals, installation guides, proposals, or other technical documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Business, English or related field (technical fields are acceptable if there is strong demonstrated English or writing experience).
- At least 5 years of experience in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- At least 5 years' experience creating reports and other systems/applications documentation.
- At least 5 years' experience creating design and requirements documents.
Level of Education 4 Year Degree
Clearance Level Required 05. Top Secret, 06. SCI
US Citizenship Required Yes
Category Program Analysis/Technical Writing
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top