Engineer - Storage / Backup
Smartronix, LLC, is an information technology and engineering solutions provider specializing in Cloud Computing, Cyber Security, Health IT, Network Operations, and Mission-Focused Engineering. The Engineer - Storage/Backup administers and safeguards efficient and reliable centralized electronic storage area networks (SAN), such as Network Attached Storage, Content Addressable Storage, DAS environments, and all other technologies classified as storage technology.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee, evaluate, implement, monitor, troubleshoot, and maintain SAN and related technologies, system upgrades, and optimization storage strategies
- Ensure the data storage needs of the program are continually met so that business can run efficiently. Install, configure, and test storage management software and hardware systems and processes
- Troubleshoot hardware and software storage related issues, and take appropriate actions. Support, maintain, and continually improve the storage area network
- Provide technical assistance, answer technical questions, and make technical decisions relating to all aspects of storage systems
- Perform proactive maintenance and monitor performance, use, and availability of resources to ensure the integrity of the storage infrastructure
- Ensure that all program databases are thoroughly backed up
- Assist in the development and execution of disaster recovery processes
- Define, maintain, and modify backup and recovery processes and procedures, including retention, reclamation, and disaster recovery
- Ensure thorough implementation of security procedures through physical measures, operating system, and industry security standards
- Participate in capacity planning and performance discussions
- Maintain storage configurations to provide capacity planning and performance monitoring or tuning of systems
- Resolve database storage shortages
- Predict how much the need for data storage will grow, and understand how the various forms of storage space will be utilized
- Maintain operations documentation and generate reports and analysis on performance metrics, storage utilization, and uptime of the storage platforms and systems that rely on them
- Prepare business documents as they relate to storage-based offerings and technology. Understand business objectives and seek ways to help the program meet these goals with storage technology
- Work with support teams, including testing, development, architecture, network, and program management, to ensure that all related database issues, problems, and necessities are resolved and provided
- Keep current on all forms of storage topologies available, and stay aware of the pros and cons of each form of storage
- Make recommendations for the selection, replacement, or upgrade of storage management software and hardware products or services
- Consult with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software and operational and performance requirements of overall system
Smartronix provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Demonstrated experience with designing, planning, and setting up applications and storage in a Linux and Windows Nutanix to ensure performance and data availability
- Demonstrated strong technical skills as they relate to numerous systems and storage technologies including but not limited to: Nutanix, Windows Server 2008/2012, Exchange Server 2010/2013, Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014/2016 Enterprise, DC's/DNS, DFS, Active Directory, DHCP, IIS, VMware vSphere 6, ESXi 6, Cisco Catalyst/Nexus, SCCM
- Demonstrated in-depth analysis and technical support of systems, including complex problem resolution, design, development, testing, operational integration, and user support
- Demonstrated experience in operating systems planning and evaluation for performance analysis, capacity planning and hardware upgrades
- Demonstrated experience with Windows and Linux shell scripting, including PowerShell and Perl, knowledge of LAN/WAN architecture, TCP/IP, firewall/VLAN configuration, hardware-based load balancing, encryption, and network security best practices
- Experience with configuring Nutanix and/or NetApp SAN environment and implementing NAS protocols
- Experience with applications in a VM SAN environment
- Demonstrated experience within NFS, CIFS, SAN, TCP/IP, RAID, LUN Management
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and experience in designing, developing, configuring, implementing, testing, troubleshooting, deploying, and supporting backup and recovery technical solutions
- Hands on experience & strong understanding on CommVault products
- Knowledge on Software Defined Storage/Software Defined Data Center
- Demonstrated experience with IT solution creation and delivery
- Extensive experience in a Microsoft Windows 2008/2012 Active Directory based enterprise environment
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with network design (LAN & WAN), including backup systems and disaster recovery architectures (DR)
- Knowledge of DoD Information Assurance practices, including Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG)
- Level II technical certification in accordance with DoDD 8140.01 "Cyberspace Workforce Management" (or achieve within six months after TOA)
Required Experience Minimum Education Required:
- BS or BA degree in a Computer Science, Information Systems Management, Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics, or Engineering.
- ALLOWABLE SUBSTITUTION: The equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience with storage disciplines and protocols to include comprehensive knowledge of specific tasks.
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience with backup disciplines and protocols to include comprehensive knowledge of specific tasks.
Level of Education 4 Year Degree
Travel Requirements No Travel Required
Clearance Level Required 04. Secret, 07. SSBI
US Citizenship Required Yes
Category Information Technology
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Back to top