News can change the world, save lives, and bring us all closer together through empathy and understanding-but not if no one reads it. Out of the hundreds of millions of articles and posts, how do we deliver the information that matters the most?
Founded in 2012 in Tokyo, Japan, SmartNews is a leading global information and news discovery company dedicated to delivering quality information to the people who need it. We provide news that matters to millions of users thanks to our unique machine learning technology and relationships with over 3,000 global publisher partners. Our SmartNews app, available on iOS and Android, is already used in over 150 countries worldwide.
But we're only just getting started, and that's why we need someone like you.
If you're looking for a company that's small enough that your contributions have a visible impact on the company and product but large enough that you're tackling interesting and challenging problems, then SmartNews is the place for you. Join us and wake up every day energized, knowing that you're delivering the news people need.
We're looking for exceptional product designers to join our team and build the world's greatest news app.
- You are an integrous, quality human being with a belief in the mission and a hunger to improve our collective understanding of the world and each other through people's access to quality information.
- You are passionate about creating holistic experiences for users from all different walks of life.
- You are open-minded, have a thirst to learn, and are energized by close and collaborative work with a diverse set of peers.
- You are mobile-first in your design approach, capable of rallying your peers around a concept.
- You are comfortable aligning design with the product and business goals, defining a strategy, and leading your team to deliver delightful, meaningful, and impactful user experiences.
- You're a natural communicator, comfortable sharing your opinion, and thrive in ambiguous situations.
- You believe that design is a strategic differentiator and, when done well, guides the relationships between people and products effortlessly to beat our goals.
- Most importantly, you know and believe that design is fundamentally about understanding people and problem solving and have experience turning those understandings into successful products.
- Design - Lead and execute end to end design efforts for high profile and ambiguous products
- Partnerships - Collaborate with cross-functional partner teams to develop industry-leading product solutions for news media
- Communications - Share and present concepts, designs, ideations, prototypes, and design decisions to a wide range of stakeholders and partners
- Leadership - Develop best in class design practices capable of scaling broadly and advocacy within the company
- Prioritization - Balance competing responsibilities for products throughout the explore, expand, and extract S-curve with intentionality and clarity of purpose
- Focus - Execute on the scope and complexity of product work while building on the integrity of the design principles and user needs
- Minimum of 5 years product design experience with proven track record on multi-disciplinary product teams building mobile products at scale
- Highly skilled visual and interaction designer with excellent attention to detail, pride in our craft, depth of product thinking, and mastery of common design prototyping tools
- Experience leading ideation sessions, building collaborative and shared product visions, aligning product and design principles and successfully influencing product teams strategies and goals
- Excellent communicator with exceptional writing, speaking and presentation skills
- Strong communicator capable of representing teams strategy broadly, leading design reviews, and keeping teams informed of design decisions and opportunities
- Self-directed and with a bias towards designing, you are comfortable managing trade offs, prioritizing tasks, and have developed frameworks to execute and achieve the objectives
- Ability to provide clear, honest and objective feedback to make your partners and peers better.
- Open-minded and capable of embracing feedback from others to improve your designs and process
- B.S. degree in a technical or cognitive field
- Multidisciplinary background such as Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Sociology, Comp. Sci, Data Vis, or Anthropology
- Experience managing or mentoring designers and building a design team.
- Japanese language ability
Perks and Benefits at the SmartNews Tokyo Office
- Support program for employee's self-development and well-being
- Healthy lunches are prepared on-site daily in our SmartKitchen, located in our West Office building. You can even see the cooks at work!
- Need a pick-me-up? Stop by ChikyuCoffee, our in-house coffee shop located in both the East and West Office buildings, and get a cup of gourmet coffee, espresso-based beverage, or other seasonal drink!
- SmartNews provides all healthcare and social insurance benefits required by Japanese labor law
For candidates who meet eligibility requirements, SmartNews can sponsor visas.
To support a smooth transition for candidates who are moving to Japan from overseas, SmartNews partners with a travel service provider.