News can change the world, save lives, and bring us all closer together through empathy and understanding - but not if it isn't read. Out of the hundreds of millions of articles and posts, how do we deliver the information that matters the most? How do we avoid the filter bubble of personalization and widen people's interests and knowledge?
SmartNews is creating an entirely new model for the news industry. Our mission is to evaluate (in real-time) what makes a quality story and deliver the stories that matter to people who need it. We are dedicated to the idea that people make better decisions when provided with better information.
We're not there yet, but we have a great head start. We're one of the very few pre-IPO, (double) unicorns focused on the news with thousands of publisher partners globally. Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has become the go-to source of news for users around the world. We have more than 20M+ monthly active users worldwide, billions of channel interactions, and article pageviews generated per month.
Join us and be a part of the solution as we work to escape the filter bubble, strengthen democracy, and help people be better informed.
You understand that growth is a mindset, not simply a role or job description, and involves deep collaboration and partnership with every function and organization in a company. You are results-oriented and combine data with market and user insights to deliver measurable impact. You are experienced in both paid and organic acquisition channels, and everything in between, always laser-focused on the unit economics, as well as finding the right customers for the product-market fit. You are data-driven and a creative problem solver able to break down the data into actionable insights and hypotheses. You will report to the SVP of Product and lead a team of product managers to grow SmartNews to the next level in the US.
- Own the US growth company targets and KPIs
- Develop and scale product technologies such as the marketing tech platform to increase paid user acquisition efficiencies across all channels and markets
- Lead a cross-functional team including marketing, design, product management, engineering, and data science to build hypotheses and conduct rapid experiments that optimize conversion from acquisition to activation
- Partner with VP of Marketing to develop growth strategies and build a product roadmap to maximize all aspects of the user growth funnel
- Work directly with other members of the executive and functional teams to craft and execute company-wide product initiatives
- Identify opportunities for user growth across new channels, user segments, and product areas
- Drive a disciplined cross-functional product development processes that aligns and empowers teams to be agile to achieve results in a constantly evolving environment where the process is fluid and creative solutions are the norm
- At least 8+ years of experience building great products and leading successful growth efforts in a cross-functional B2C environment working with an engineering, marketing, and product teams
- At least 3+ years of experience managing people, building a growth team, and managing a user acquisition budget delivering ROI
- Strong analytical and statistical skills and experience defining and understanding A/B testing, funnel analysis, conversion, consumer acquisition, retention and go-to-market strategies
- Excellent and concise oral and written communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with business and technical people
- Self-starter with strong ownership and ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Possesses a ‘user first' attitude and demonstrates a passionate commitment for the customer experience and product quality
- Bachelor or Masters in a technical or business degree
- Strong interest in the news industry, solving big problems, and belief in the mission of SmartNews
Nice to Haves
- Advanced SQL and Python skills
- Early career in engineering, development or design roles
- Japanese language fluency or interest in learning Japanese
- Equity included
- 100% medical, dental and vision insurance coverage (60% coverage for dependents)
- Monthly housing, commute, mobile phone and gym allowances
- 401k matching program
- Free lunch, snacks, drinks, etc.
- Pet friendly office