Sr. Software Engineer, Desktop DevXP
- San Francisco, CA
The Desktop Developer Experience team is responsible for building tools for engineers at Slack to build, package, test, and ship both the desktop and web clients. This team of software engineers is focused on the tooling and infrastructure needed to ensure high-quality, reliable software delivery. Our team is responsible for making frontend engineers at Slack more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers who value craftsmanship, quality, and empathy.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture — we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
This position is based in San Francisco and reports to one of our engineering managers.
What you will be doing
- Build and integrate tools and services that enable continuous delivery and developer productivity needs.
- Evolve and manage the build, test and release tooling and processes for the Desktop client.
- Translate requirements into designs that align with team and company goals.
- Roll out projects in phases, monitor adoption, and fine-tune in response to internal customer feedback.
- Guide and influence other areas of Engineering (such as Infrastructure and Test Engineering).
What you should have
- You're an excellent communicator and work well within and across teams.
- You're eager to integrate third-party systems but show good judgment when considering when to build something in-house instead.
- You understand continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines as well as cross-platform build and release best practices.
- You're familiar with virtualization, dynamic provisioning, Docker, AWS, Linux, MacOS and Windows.
- You know your way around desktop development—including testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking—especially if it's with a cross-platform framework such as Electron.
- You have experience with webpack, bazel or other modern build tools.
- You have experience with test automation, especially graphical test automation.
- You've developed distributed systems at scale.
- You've used Slack and are excited to make it better.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top