Software Engineer, Android
We're looking for people who are passionate about creating great Android applications
You've been around for a few API levels and you know how to delight Android users. You’ve got an eye for the beautiful Android design our users expect and an attention to detail down to the very last dp. You know your way around the View hierarchy and are eager to partner with Product and Design to craft efficient, performant, and delightful user experiences. You like building for the long term and value patterns and structures that allow for maximum flexibility in a constantly evolving product
As an Android Product Engineer, you will work with a cross-disciplinary team, using your extensive knowledge of building applications across a wide array of Android devices to make the Slack experience on Android be the best it can possibly be.
Slack on Android is used by millions of people every week - we need engineers who want to make that experience as enjoyable as possible.
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Extensive understanding of Android framework components and their respective lifecycles
- Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and programming languages
- Experience working closely with product teams, designers, and other developers to create a truly delightful mobile experience
- Current and detailed knowledge of the capabilities of different Android API levels
- Experience developing highly performant Java code and view layouts and the ability to diagnose performance bottlenecks
- A disciplined approach to development, testing, documentation and code structure in a team environment
- A familiarity with the Android tool ecosystem for development, testing, debugging, and performance benchmarking
- An excellent understanding of best practices for concurrency and threading
- At least four years of engineering experience, a large portion of which in a team environment
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things higher
- Experience using Slack and a keen interest in making it better
- A passion for building and maintaining great open source projects or otherwise contributing to the Android community
- Experience with reactive programming (e.g. RXJava)
- Experience developing with Kotlin
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Ariel H.Learning Manager
Ariel aims to understand and provide the proper tools for the learning needs of every single employee in the company.
Back to top