Senior Site Reliability Engineer
About the Team
This position is on Slack's technical operations team which is already well established in Dublin. In addition to software engineering, this role requires managing a large and varied infrastructure as it grows.
We build our app using reliable tools that our team knows and trusts, including PHP, MySQL, and Linux. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes. We’re a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together to make Slack a better product. We are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
About the Role
This is a full time senior engineering position based in Dublin, Ireland.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Designing and develop a new highly-available infrastructure component to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product.
- Joining a development team on a rotation, to help them to reduce service latency, and increase availability.
- Whiteboarding a solution to improve performance of our real time messaging API in an underserved location -- and then roll out your implementation.
- Participating in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others.
- You are able to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications.
- You love to mentor and model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale.
- Experience using PHP without a framework.
- Proven competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus).
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef.
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus).
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems.
Back to top