Senior Site Reliability Engineer
About the Team
The Site Reliabilty Engineering team is composed of systems and software engineers, working to make Slack more performant, available & reliable each day. We’re driving latency down and ensuring that Slack is available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on scaling problems for a global customer base, and write software to work on multiple cloud providers. We redesign fundamental network components and instrument applications across the company. We get excited about making Slack fast as heck.
About the Role
This is a full time senior engineering position based in San Francisco, California.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Designing and develop a new highly-available infrastructure component to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product.
- Joining a development team on a rotation, to help them to reduce service latency, and increase availability.
- Whiteboarding a solution to improve performance of our real time messaging API in an underserved location -- and then roll out your implementation.
- Participating in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues.
You might be a good fit if:
- You have curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others.
- You are able to analyze and optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications.
- You love to mentor and model standard methodologies for unit tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.You've been developing and operating web sites professionally and can point to things you’ve worked on.
- Professional experience in web application engineering, working in a team environment.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- Experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux at scale.
- Experience using PHP without a framework.
- Proven competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus).
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management, especially Chef.
- Experience with virtualized environments (AWS experience a plus).
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Sr. Customer Success Manager
Gina works with Slack’s clients at a high level to ensure that they’re getting the most value from the product and having a positive experience overall.
Back to top