Senior Manager of Competitive Intelligence
Slack is searching for a Senior Manager, Competitive Intelligence as part of our Product Marketing Team. In this role, you will provide leadership and expertise in competitive research, analysis and insight with the goal of reinforcing Slack’s competitive advantage in order to help our sales force win deals against key competitors.
The successful candidate will be viewed globally as the subject matter expert (SME) for competitor offerings and will own the Competitive Intelligence function at Slack.
This position requires deep competitive research and thorough analysis of the collaboration market. The successful candidate should have a track record in creating high quality, executive level analysis with rational insight and conclusive business recommendations.
We are a lean team, which will provide you opportunities to present directly to our senior leaders. Your impact will be felt immediately!
- Function as competitive expert to other Slack organizations such as product management, product marketing, sales and customer success executives. Provide them with deep insight relative to the competitive landscape and deep understanding of key competitor’s business model, go-to-market sales strategy and product/service differentiation. Advise them on targeted competitive take-out campaigns, sales training needs, marketing messages and product gaps.
- Oversee the development of actionable competitive intelligence, sales tools and training to Sales. Specific collateral will include competitor SWOT analysis, sales cheat sheets, presentations, competitive whitepapers and competitor rebuttals.
- Partner with business operations to monitor deal win and loss rates. Analyze underlying cause and effect and bring insight and recommendations to sales management how to improve.
- Manage primary and third party research efforts in support of our in-market narratives.
- Regularly report to Sales, Product Management, Marketing and Executive team on the state of the competitive environment and competitive effectiveness of sales and marketing initiatives.
- Abide by and enforce Competitive Insights legal and ethical guidelines with internal stakeholders and sales teams.
We strive to build a culture that balances our values and demonstrates high standards of execution. You are someone who can:
- Independently own, prioritize and drive timely and quality analysis
- Bring to bear strong analytical traits, deep knowledge of markets, products and competitive landscape (including the ability to predict and explain current/future trends)
- Translate (both verbally and in writing) technologies into business value as a means of differentiating Slack from its competition and as a means of simplifying our value proposition to help sales close more deals.
- 8-10 years of recognized competitive analysis skills focused in the areas of productivity or collaboration software, including understanding of customer needs and business goals.
- BA/BS degree in business, technology or research is minimally required.
- Prior relevant experience in competitive intelligence/analysis will receive strongest consideration.
- Ability to analyze products to a fairly deep technical level such that analysis is useful for sales. Hands on experience testing, using or implementing productivity/ collaboration applications is an advantage.
- Demonstrated hypothesis-driven problem solving with special ability to build structured quantitative and qualitative analyses; sound business judgement and problem framing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to formulate and deliver insights around complex business problems in a thoughtful and persuasive manner
- Strong personal initiative and good judgment; desire to succeed in a demanding, creative, and entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to prioritize multiple simultaneous projects/deliverables to successful completion (i.e., in a quality and timely manner) is a key requirement.
- Track record for mentoring junior talent, as well as leading team-based engagements.
Back to top