Senior Chef Engineer
- Pune, India
Slack is looking for Chef Engineers to design and build solutions focused on delivering a first-in-class endpoint experience for our employees. The Business Technology Client Platform Engineering team builds, runs, and supports the global endpoint fleet at Slack - the devices our employees use every day as their primary computers. Utilizing modern DevOps practices, you will work as a primary Chef specialist on the team, focused on creating infrastructure to make Slack employees have a simple, pleasant, and productive experience at work.
You are a hardworking self-starter with an ability to navigate a constantly evolving landscape. You enjoy and excel at crafting innovative and scalable infrastructure as well as collaborating across functions. Technical expertise and a real passion for innovation are crucial, but you’ll balance that with a desire to improve the user experience for the products and services we deliver to the Slack community.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and encouraging culture—we look for people who are curious, creative, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we seek to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative!
As a Senior Chef Engineer you will:
- Administer and scale our global fleet of employee devices, with a particular emphasis of using Chef on Windows and macOS endpoints.
- Provide on-call support, critical issue remediation, and incident response for core services.
- Write scripts, automation logic, and tests to handle endpoint configuration, application distribution, and related infrastructure.
- Use modern device trust and identity verification best practices.
- Spec, deploy, and maintain internal tooling such as centralized logging, monitoring/alerting, and configuration management.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have demonstrated advanced ability working with Chef configuration management software, including Chef Server, Automate, inSpec, and Test Kitchen.
- Have demonstrated experience with MDM tooling such as Windows InTune, SimpleMDM, or Fleetsmith.
- Have strong familiarity with Chocolatey, Powershell, Munki, and other management tooling.
- Comfort and inclination on using distributed version control (git), semantic versioning, and change management procedures such as Github flow.
- Have experience with administering, deploying, and resolving issues with Windows, Ubuntu Linux, macOS, and related software.
- Focus on code-first solutions, and have extensive background in writing idempotent scripts to manage devices.
- Know the importance of documentation and have a track record of writing clear and concise specifications and runbooks.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Autopilot and administering Windows endpoints using open source tools.
Back to top