Senior Application Engineer
Slack is looking for Senior Application Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
Application Engineers build the server-side of Slack using PHP / Hack, MySQL and Linux. In a typical week, an application engineer will develop new features with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, and frontend, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers. They will collaborate with peers to write or review technical proposals, and contribute to internal tools that optimize our development process. They will assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving issues.
This position is based in San Francisco and reports to one of our engineering managers.
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 3+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Director, Application Engineering
Joann is responsible for running a team of eight Slack Application Engineers. She works hard to support them in their positions and career trajectories and ensures that they have everything they need to build awesome products.
Back to top