Security Operations Lead
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most meaningfully, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As a leader on the Slack Security Operations Team, you will focus on supporting and empowering the broader Security Organization. This is a mixed responsibility role, with the expectation that you’ll spend half of your time in hands on operations engineering work, and half of your time helping to guide the team and scope the work with the broader organization.
The career path for this role could branch off into either a more senior Engineering role, helping to lead and incept large projects or onto the management track. We hope to challenge you and help you advance your career.
About the Role
This is a full time senior engineering and management position based in San Francisco, California.
Your Responsibilities Include:
- Build & operate tools like Elastic Search, ansible, AWS and more.
- Manage a small (3-4 engineers, including yourself) team’s success
- Mentor fellow engineers
- Act as an emissary to devops all the things.
- Build and maintain relationships with people across the organization
- Participate in planning and long term roadmapping.
You might be a good fit it you have:
- Technical chops and a desire to grow the careers of others through mentorship
- A real passion for clear communication with other security teams to figure out needs, then come up with solutions(we’re counting on you to scope *and* do the work)
- An ability to work closely with the production ops team to see if we can utilize any of their technologies and also better align with them for the future.
- A consultative view about working with teams to figure out where they could use security’s help and a desire to align on solving production security issues.
- Operational experience running servers in AWS or similar cloud environment
- Experience automating security tools and server configurations at scale
- Automation frameworks (ansible and chef are what we use, but concepts are what matters)
- Scaling production infrastructure.
- Large scale log ingestion and search infrastructure experience, such as ELK or Splunk.
- A strong background in security concepts.
Back to top