Quality Engineer - Desktop
Slack is looking for experienced and skilled Quality Assurance Engineers to join our team. This is an excellent position for people who enjoy working on the full cycle of manual testing — creating a strategy, writing a plan, creating and executing tests, finding regressions, logging and verifying bugs, and creating comprehensive historical records of testing activities are all part of being successful in this position.
Product development at Slack is split into small teams of engineers, designers, and product managers working together on features. As a QA Engineer at Slack, you would become a full-time member of one of these small teams, focusing on just one or two projects at a time to ensure that we have a solid and well-executed test strategy before launching new features to the public.
One of Slack's defining and most powerful features is its platform for integrating with hundreds of other services — Slack allows teams to not only communicate with one another via messages, but also to interact with everything else in their productivity toolchain in one place.
You will be responsible for
- Working with engineering, design, product management, project management, customer experience, and other QA to design, own, and deliver on test plans for the desktop client.
- Helping to develop and maintain a robust library of test cases for both new and existing features.
- Providing reliable, early feedback on new functionality and feature changes.
- Partnering with members of the Customer Experience team to ensure that testing is complete and thorough before launching.
- Collaborating with Engineering to isolate and reproduce defects across all parts of the system and identify gaps in coverage.
Your typical week might include
- Writing test cases and running tests for new features on Windows or Mac platform.
- Bug verification, running smoke and regression suites on fixes.
- Working with internal teams and at times clients directly to help identify steps to reproduce bugs.
Things we think are important for this role
- You have been successful working in similar role.
- You posses the important skill of juggling multiple high priority projects and know how to prioritize and manage your time.
- You have experience with usability and accessibility testing and you love it.
- Your organizational skills and ability to capture and record detailed and accurate information about bugs and systemic issues are not to be mocked.
- You think outside the box and approach the Slack client from multiple users’ perspectives. We expect our team to have a sensitivity towards pain points that could represent loss of a team or user (whether it’s an actual bug or not).
- Improvisation and flexibility. We operate differently than other teams. Standard QA processes won’t always work at Slack. Bring your bag of tricks.
- Experience testing Enterprise software, SSO, 2FA, and use of virtual machines.
Slack is where work happens. It connects you with the people and apps you work with every day, no matter where you are or what you do. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful, and empathetic culture. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Launched in February 2014, Slack is the fastest growing business application ever and is used by thousands of teams and millions of users every day. Slack's investors include many of the best-recognized firms in the world, including Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Social+Capital, KPCB, Google Ventures, Horizons Ventures, IVP, Spark Growth, DST, and Index Ventures. We currently have five offices worldwide, in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Melbourne and New York.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack's values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Sr. Customer Success Manager
Gina works with Slack’s clients at a high level to ensure that they’re getting the most value from the product and having a positive experience overall.
Back to top