IT Portfolio Manager
As IT Portfolio Manager in Core IT at Slack, you will work to help plan and deliver against our strategy and our overall vision to create exceptional technology experiences for our users. You will be responsible for working with the leadership team to form a clear plan to achieve our goals, driving that plan forward with urgency, and helping improve our overall project management and resource allocation processes.
In partnership with the Core IT Director, and looking across all of the programs and projects the team is working on, you will implement and develop the frameworks and processes needed to run the organization. You will need to have a passion for embracing the fast-paced culture of a smaller company while also putting the right guardrails in place to allow the team to deliver.
- Work with team to develop our long-term strategic goals and defining our path to accomplishing them.
- Coordinate across a group of cross-functional partners & resources across the company on our major initiatives.
- Work closely with those cross-functional internal teams to build out plans for high visibility programs and projects by identifying requirements and dependencies and building work back schedules to manage to deadlines.
- Look for connections to other projects and recommend opportunities for optimization and integration points.
- Guide the team in the development of processes, bringing to bear frameworks like Scrum/Kanban, that will enable them to better prioritize incoming work, estimate effort, track progress and perform resource planning.
- Understand and communicate dependencies and status to program partners clearly and effectively.
- Dedicatedly work to remove obstacles and enable forward momentum and progress. Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing priorities. Confidently lead business partners through change management.
- Establish timelines, RACIs, project plans and trackers, and communication artifacts. Ensure that the team and stakeholders are all operating from the most recent and accurate information. Facilitate retrospectives with cross-functional teams with the aim of continuous improvement.
- 6+ years experience as a Program/Project Manager in an IT or software engineering role.
- 4+ years experience working within an Agile environment and implementing common frameworks like Scrum and Kanban.
- 2+ years as a Portfolio Manager in an IT or software engineering team.
- Hands-on experience leading an initiative from start to finish.
- A history of achieving goals while managing scope, time, quality and risk. An openness to recognizing all learnings from failures as well as successes.
- Ability to build strong and effective relationships with business partners by understanding their needs and goals as well as what motivates and engages them.
- A general fearlessness regarding the unknown, keen ability to focus and function effectively through ambiguity.
- Experience working with program management tools such as Smartsheet, JIRA, Trello, Asana, Microsoft Project, Omniplan, etc.
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Sr. Customer Success Manager
Gina works with Slack’s clients at a high level to ensure that they’re getting the most value from the product and having a positive experience overall.
Back to top