Engineering Manager - Search
Slack is looking for an engineering manager to join our Search, Learning & Intelligence (SLI) team headquartered in NYC. Our team's mission is to make the product smarter and companies dramatically more productive the more they use Slack. The work will span many disciplines: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning & natural language processing.
You will lead a team responsible for building a fast, personalized search experience across all of the knowledge within Slack: messages, people, channels, files, links, and more. Slack should grow to feel like the augmented memory for the entire company. You’ll be one of the founding members of the team and office, which just started up this year and is just under 10 people. The position will report directly to the head of the SLI group; you’ll lead ~3-5 people to start, and a big part of your role will be growing the team with more incredible folks.
If you were to join Slack, here are the kinds of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Amplify your team’s output and help adjust its direction so it can quickly ship new features, working closely with product and design.
- Work with the team to identify quality problems, evaluate potential data sources and algorithms, evaluate the output, and come up with new approaches.
- Dig into data—from usage behavior to experimental results to ranking side-by-sides—to inform technical and product direction.
- Help build a great team, from sourcing to coffees to interviewing to closing.
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Engineering Manager on our team:
- You have at least two years in an engineering management / team lead role.
- Academic background in computer science (BS or MS) or equivalent work experience.
- You have professional experience working on search problems. Examples could range across ranking, indexing, query understanding, personalization, autocomplete, and so on.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are organized.
- You are a strong communicator who can succinctly explain complex technical concepts.
- You possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- You know how the web works and what a good API looks like.
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things.
Here are a few extra things that would lift you up a couple of notches in our eyes:
- Experience with SOLR / Elastic Search
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce/Hadoop/Spark.
- A good understanding of statistics (experimental design, regression, etc.)
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Senior Engineer Integrations
Duretti creates code and corrects bugs for the back-end of Slack’s website and mobile applications. She and her team work hard to keep Slack constantly functioning and up-to-date with new and exciting features.
Back to top