Engineering Manager - Search
Slack is looking for an engineering manager to join our Search, Learning & Intelligence (SLI) team headquartered in NYC. Our team's mission is to make the product smarter and companies dramatically more productive the more they use Slack.
You will lead a team responsible for building a fast, personalized search experience across all of the knowledge within Slack: messages, people, channels, files, links, and more. Over time, Slack should grow to feel like the augmented memory for the entire company. You’ll be one of the founding members of the team and the NYC office, which started up this past year and just passed 10 people. The position will report directly to the Head of SLI. You’ll lead a team of 4-5 engineers to start, and a big part of your role will be helping double the size of the group this year by bringing in more incredible folks.
If you were to join Slack, here are the kinds of things you would do over the course of a typical week:
- Amplify your team’s output and help adjust its direction so it can quickly ship new end-to-end features, working closely with product and design.
- Work with the team to identify quality problems, explore potential data sources and algorithms, evaluate the output, and come up with new approaches.
- Dig into data—from usage behavior to experimental results to ranking side-by-sides—to inform technical and product direction.
- Help build a great team, from sourcing to interviewing to onboarding to learning and development.
Here are things that we consider critical to being an Engineering Manager on our team:
- You have professional experience working data-driven products in an experiment-oriented environment. Examples could range across search ranking, query understanding, personalization, recommendations systems, ads conversion prediction, fraud detection, and so on.
- You have engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints to make rapid decisions in a dynamic and quickly-growing company. You are pragmatic, organized, and biased toward shipping.
- You are a strong communicator who can succinctly explain complex technical concepts.
- You possess solid computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- You know how the web works and what a good API looks like.
- When things break—and they will—you are eager and able to help fix things.
Here are a few extra things that would lift you up a couple of notches in our eyes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You have academic and/or work experience in some of the following areas: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, or natural language processing.
- Experience with SOLR / Elastic Search.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally and have experience with MapReduce / Hadoop / Spark.
- A good understanding of statistics (experimental design, regression, etc.).
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Sr. Customer Success Manager
Gina works with Slack’s clients at a high level to ensure that they’re getting the most value from the product and having a positive experience overall.
Back to top