Engineering Manager - Data Infrastructure
Slack’s data platform is the fundamental system that allows us to make data and insights available for analytics, product management, and every aspect of running our business. It helps us find better ways for our product to surface information for our customers, using both in-house solutions and off-the-shelf open-source tools like hive, presto, etc. You’ll be charged with helping this team to set the vision for what data at Slack can do, and ultimately working with stakeholders across the entire company to ensure that we’re using our powers for the good of our product and our customers!
Data Engineering is a small group within the larger Infrastructure organization at Slack. In addition to working closely with backend infrastructure teams, many of our projects will involve a lot of outreach and discussions with stakeholders around the company to help understand how to best gather and use data we produce.
A few relevant posts from Slack's engineering blog:
- You have 5+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You have experience building platforms that process, store, analyze, and utilize data to help internal and external customers make decisions.
- You’ve been part of organizations that require you to own your decisions, and you understand the unique advantages and challenges of such teams.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
The data platform team is a diverse and inclusive team that treats their colleagues exceptionally well. We encourage and support each other’s growth and we do not expect any single candidate to have expertise across all of these areas.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Sr. Customer Success Manager
Gina works with Slack’s clients at a high level to ensure that they’re getting the most value from the product and having a positive experience overall.
Back to top