Engineer - Audio/Video Calls Quality
Slack is looking for experienced and skilled Manual Quality Engineers to join our Calls team. This is an excellent position for people who enjoy working on the full cycle of manual testing — crafting a strategy, writing a plan, building and executing tests, finding regressions, logging and verifying bugs, and building comprehensive historical records of testing activities are all part of being successful in this position.
Product development at Slack is split into small teams of engineers, designers, and product managers working together on features. As a Quality Engineer at Slack, you would become a full-time member of one of these small teams, focusing on just one or two projects at a time so that we have a solid and well-executed test strategy before launching new features to the public.
- Define, Develop and maintain test strategy, build test plans and test cases, for the new Calls feature
- Collaborate with the Customer Support team to understand common issues and incorporate them into new test scenarios
- Design and execute regression for Calls test plans on an ongoing basis — Slack changes frequently and rapidly
- Work with Engineering to isolate and reproduce defects across all parts of the system
- Be responsible for the issues in your area of the code, triage and lead them in our issues tracking tool
- Work with the Calls Engineering in Test Team to identify and address gaps in testing coverage
- Minimum of 2 years audio/video testing
- Experience with networking protocols like TCP/IP, UDP, RTP/RTCP
- Worked on audio and/or video quality verification, and understands network impairments (e.g., packet loss, limited bandwidth, latency, etc)
- You have experience testing in multiple software environments like Windows, Linux, OS X, Android, etc
- Knowledge of Jira or similar Bug Tracker and Project Management tools
- Organizational skills to collect and record detailed and accurate information about bugs and systemic issues
- Improvisation and flexibility. We operate differently than other teams. Standard QA processes won’t always work at Slack. Bring your bag of tricks.
- This is a communication heavy role. You are fluent in both spoken and written English.
These things are not required but certainly pluses:
- Experience with WebRTC
- Understanding of audio/video codecs (e.g., OPUS, VP8/H.264)
- Academic background in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience in startup environments
Back to top