Director of Engineering - Search, Learning and Intelligence (SLI)
Slack is looking for an experienced engineering director to lead and grow our Search, Learning and Intelligence (SLI) team in New York City.
The mission of SLI is to make our product smarter and companies dramatically more productive the more they use Slack. Over time, Slack should grow to feel like the augmented memory for the entire company: it should make all of the knowledge within companies useful and easily searchable. The work of this team spans many disciplines: search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, data science/quality, and natural language processing/understanding. Our ideal candidate has led and managed teams (including managing managers) to tackle ambitious technical challenges at web scale.
Slack’s NYC office is located in the NoHo district, which started in 2017 and is almost 20 engineers, a product manager and designer. The office also includes ~20 people in sales and account management. You’ll lead the engineering team, which currently includes 2 engineering managers, and a big part of your role will be growing this fantastic team by hiring more incredible folks and building an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can flourish.
You will have substantial support from our headquarters in San Francisco. We have offices around the world that have folks from sales, technical operations, and customer support but currently only 2 offices with product engineering and infrastructure outside of SF: Vancouver, Canada and NYC. We see these locations as the first steps towards a new level of scale for our company as we continue on a rapid growth trajectory with a bold mission: to make people’s working lives simpler, more pleasant, and more productive.
Our office in NYC enables us to work with people we otherwise wouldn't have a chance to, and we'll draw in talent that expands our capabilities and the depth of our experience. We deeply believe that diverse teams build better software and so we’ve released our diversity numbers each year.
This position reports to our Senior Director of Infrastructure Engineering, Julia Grace.
- Lead and coach a diverse set of engineering managers and engineers tasked with development of our search infrastructure, machine learning services and search and data products team.
- Craft a meaningful vision and strategy to ensure immediate term goals are met while promoting teamwork and high standards.
- Collaborate with and communicate strategic initiatives to C-levels, VP's, management and individual contributors.
- Build the technological foundation upon which Slack’s next generation of products will be built.
- Represent the SLI engineering team across the engineering organization both locally in NYC and to stakeholders in SF.
- Weigh tradeoffs and have in depth discussions with engineers on the nuances of complex engineering systems.
- Work in close partnership with Product and Design to build best in class experiences for our users.
- You’re an experienced engineering manager who has coached and grown other engineering managers and leaders.
- You’ve managed multiple teams that ideally designed and operated critical infrastructure, particularly with user-facing and product implications.
- You’ve built search products and/or have a background working on problems related to search, NLP, ML, or data science broadly speaking.
- You foster collaborative, inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do the best work of their careers.
- You craft a powerful long-term technical vision and help the team set pragmatic goals to meet it.
- You are a compelling and clear communicator who networks well with your peers to understand their product and technology requirements while also representing your own.
- You’re comfortable planning in quarters, and also have experience planning in years and executing on those plans.
Nice to have:
- Experience managing a distributed team or environment or experience working closely with other distributed team in different timezones.
- Experience leading teams and building technology and products in a rapidly growing company and knowledge of how to navigate the growing pains of that rapid growth.
Since launching four years ago, Slack has become the fastest-growing business application in history; a collaboration hub that brings the right people together with the right conversations, information, and tools they use at work.
Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales — from the world’s largest public companies to the smallest of startups — use Slack to get work done so we take performance, reliability and product quality very seriously, and features like search make our user's lives much better. A taste of our scale:
- 8 million Daily Active Users (DAUs) across the more than 500,000 organizations (including more than 3 million paid users, and 65% of the companies in the Fortune 100 are now paid Slack customers).
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
For millions of people, Slack is the primary communication tool they use at work all day long. They expect it to be exceptionally reliable and fast, all the time. This role will help us evolve and grow both the infrastructure components, as well as the search and machine learning products.
Meet Some of Slack's Employees
Product Manager, Search, Learning, and Intelligence
Isaiah works with the Search, Learning, and Intelligence Team to plan features, write specifications, and launch amazing products that help Slack users quickly find what they need to be productive.
Back to top