at Skyryse (View all jobs)
Greater Los Angeles, CA
Skyryse wants to allow anyone, to fly anywhere, in any aircraft, safely and as a highly experienced pilot would. Powered by the Skyryse operating system, we automate flight controls and management to achieve unmatched safety and eliminate opportunities for human error in all flight stages, and in emergency situations. We want to make flying as ubiquitous as the road and as safe as the elevator.
Why this role is mission critical:
As an HMI Software Developer, you will be part of a fast-paced interdisciplinary team that is responsible for prototyping the next generation of human machine interfaces that Skyryse will offer as part of its FlightOS system. You will work alongside a team of designers, engineers, and fabricators to create a complete HMI system that makes the task of piloting an aircraft infinitely simpler, and furthers Skyryse's goal of democratizing the skies.
You are a generalist (with Unity/C#,C++, or OpenGL experience), but will initially concentrate on display software running in the cockpit of our aircraft. Your responsibilities will range from prototyping interaction designs in a 3D environment, creating procedural terrain systems, and creating VR simulations to test cockpit ergonomics. The code you help create will be tested in both simulation environments and in real flight tests via experimental aircraft. You will be at the forefront of the aviation industry’s effort to simplify vehicle operations and make the future of aviation safer and more accessible.
- Push the limits of avionics and create innovative user experiences and interactions.
- Develop and iterate rapid models of proposed design solutions for the purposes of communication and evaluation
- Develop a novel virtual environment that offers pilots a clear and intuitive means of understanding their flying environment (using tile-maps, CAD assets, instrument clusters, procedural terrain generation, and advanced trajectory calculations).
- Ship prototype code regularly while balancing quality and complexity
- Create compelling visualizations and procedural terrain from raw map, sensor, and telemetry data
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience building data-driven HMI applications
- Familiarity with 3D math, linear algebra, 3D geometry, graphics, and rendering
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with real-time 3D development such as Unity/C#
- Excellent use of version control software
- Ability to take a project from creation to delivery, with team and management guidance
- Experience in Aviation, Automotive, Aerospace, or with embedded systems
- Experience in C++ and OpenGL/Vulkan
- Familiarity with database pipelines (Python, SQL)
- Familiarity with VR/AR development environments
- Understanding of UX design principles
- Understanding of GIS mapping software and relevant SDKs (Mapbox, ArcGIS)
- A private pilot’s license, or an interest in learning to fly
We also have great benefits:
- Flexible vacation
- Competitive salary
- Valuable stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues determined to change the world
Skyryse is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Principals only, please. NO AGENCY CANDIDATES WILL BE CONSIDERED. Please apply directly to Skyryse.