VP of Game Publishing
- San Francisco, CA
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
The Head of Publishing has a wide ranging charter to positively impact the success of Skillz over the long term. A stickler for detail and a strong process leader, one vector of success for this person will be gauged on their ability to smoothly integrate, onboard, and launch new developer titles into the Skillz stable of mobile eSports games.
The second vector of success will be determined by their systematic approach to optimizing these games for long term, outsized monetization as well as optimizing the Skillz developer community at large.
We are looking for a results-driven high technology professional possessing exceptional interpersonal communication skills and extensive experience in core game design, game lifecycle management, SDK integration cycles, and project/program management. Finally, you should have experience in building and managing high performing teams.
- Lead a cross-functional team of game designers, project managers, analysts, and producers to evolve the world's first mobile competition-as-a-service platform for iOS/Android game development studios across hundreds of top games
- Define process standards and other documentation to create best design and launch readiness practices for the Skillz platform
- Must be able to work with Company Executives (internal and external), Product Management, Engineering, Sales and Marketing in regards to game development, documentation, internal and external communication, launch and post launch optimization
- Manage a world-class Live Ops team and program designed to drive heightened monetization and deep retention of mobile gaming players across the network of game environments on the Skillz platform
- Collect and analyze game data to provide insight into how to optimize the Skillz system and games; maintain a deep understanding of the full revenue funnel, ownership of all changes, and ability to accurately project downstream impact of those changes
- Efficient utilization of professional services resources for engagement and/or delivery of agreed solutions within budgeted hours
- Demonstrable expertise in managing customer success managers, and program managers
Core Experience Attributes:
- 8+ years of client facing professional services experience or games studio general management experience
- 8+ years of direct people management
- Preference for someone who has worked for a company selling/integrating SDKs to & with a developer community
- Proven track record of managing game studio technology/clients
- MBA highly desirable
- Conversant in agile and (phase gate) product launch methodologies
- Technical expertise gained from working with engineering and product teams as they evolve core technologies and systems to support business to business customers worldwide
- Highly inspirational leader, irrespective of reporting lines
- Ability to provide clear direction and give insight on industry trends
Back to top