Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
The VP of Corporate Development will support the CFO and the Executive Team and work cross-functionally across product, business development, sales, marketing, and customer success teams to lead all Corporate Development activities across the organization.
What You Will Do:
- Independently lead deal-making across all corporate finance and corporate development activities.
- Support the development of our M&A strategy, priorities and pipeline.
- Research the market landscape to identify acquisition, joint venture, partnership, and strategic investment opportunities.
- Source, evaluate, close, and integrate acquisition and investment opportunities in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Build out the corporate development function, including hiring, mentoring and developing employees.
- Prepare memos and presentations to synthesize key findings and recommendations.
- BS/BA degree required – candidates with an MBA preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in the internet, software and/or consumer tech industry in a corporate development / strategy leadership role. Additional experience in management consulting and/or investment banking is a plus.
- Ability to quickly understand complex issues and develop/apply simplifying frameworks to facilitate broader organizational understanding, decision-making and action.
- Proficient at leveraging analytics, data, financial models and insights to drive decision-making.
- Outcome oriented with very strong ability to personally create high quality, customer-facing presentations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills; able to effectively manage multiple ongoing projects to meet deadlines.
- Experience in the video gaming industry preferred but not required.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.