Sr. Manager, Web Services
- Portland, OR
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
As part of the product development organization Web Services deliver the tools that enable our developers to be successful at building, managing and monetizing games. We are looking for a Sr. Engineering Manager to grow and lead the Web Services engineering organization.
In this role you will lead engineering delivery as you partner closely with our LiveOps, Player Advocacy, Product and Developer Success organizations. Your work will have an impact on millions of players and developers around the globe. You are a customer focused leader who values collaboration and team empowerment. You understand the value of progress over perfection balancing strategic direction and tactical execution.
What You Will Do:
- Recruit, hire and motivate a world class team of engineers.
- Set the strategy and direction of Developer and Game Operations delivery.
- Lead and Mentor a team of managers and full stack engineers.
- Partner with product owners and program managers to help plan releases and schedule development. Provide feedback and feasibility insights for proposed development features.
- Define and deliver against department OKRs and KPI
- Embrace and embody Skillz core values in your work and interactions with peers, stakeholders and direct reports.
- Maintain and promote an inclusive, and high-performance culture, provide support for your teams’ career growth and personal development.
- Use gender-neutral language
- Bachelor's degree in engineering field or experience equivalent
- 8+ years of professional experience in software delivery
- 4+ years of experience in engineering or architecture roles
- 3+ years management experience leading a team of managers and individual contributors
- Proven track record of being results oriented with demonstrated ability to achieve aggressive goals.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Experience delivering and managing multiple projects through their entire lifecycle
- Working knowledge in one or more of the following: React, Ruby, Python, Java, nodejs
- Must have knowledge and/or experience with open source technologies and impact of build/buy decisions.
- Able to anticipate business problems and influence solutions through functional and non-functional requirements.
- Thrive in a highly collaborative and fast paced environment
- Servant leader passionate about building and empowering teams
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top