Senior Product Designer
- Portland, OR
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
Skillz is pioneering the competitive mobile gaming experience, leveraging its patented technology to power over two billion esports tournaments a year. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports leagues and franchises.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we're looking for:
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You’re insatiably curious, and you take the initiative to find solutions to obvious and hidden problems. The status quo is not sufficient, and you are constantly looking for new ways to improve your designs and a user’s experience, and you expect the people around you to do the same. Designers on our Developer Experience team will shape how our game creators interact with Skillz and pave the way for them to evolve how everyone engages with mobile games.
What You'll Do:
- Work end-to-end, tackling complex user needs from sketching to low and high fidelity prototypes
- Own feature designs that create responsive experiences across multiple devices for our game developer platform experience
- Leverage solid design rationale to create an intuitive platform experience that’s responsive across multiple devices
- Gain a deep understanding of our target users through observations, research, and analytics so that you can champion their needs
- Be the champion of our target users by deeply understanding their needs through observations, research, and analytics
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and other designers to incorporate feedback and uncover compelling design solutions
- Think about design as a system, contributing to and maintaining our pattern library in order to influence quality and efficiency for all our teams and products
- 3+ years of professional experience as a UX or Product Designer
- Experience designing for mobile-first, responsive web applications
- Portfolio that demonstrates solid understanding and use of typography, color, imagery, layout, and grid systems
- Portfolio that showcases sound product thinking and strong design rationale through navigation, user flows, interaction design, and information architecture
- Ability to manage deadlines and collaborate in a cross functional environment
- Experienced in using various design software including Sketch, Adobe CS, and Invision
- Experience with motion design and animation is a plus
- Experience with hand-coding HTML, CSS, and JS is a plus
Along with your resume, please include links to your portfolio work that best represents your design process.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top