Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
As a member of the Infrastructure team you will be responsible for the technical foundations powering Skillz. This includes:
- Designing, implementing, and delivering core platform infrastructure and services to production
- Understanding the needs of Skillz engineering teams and develop tooling to increase development efficiency
- Proactively maintain availability of Skillz’s cloud infrastructure
- Work closely with engineering teams to constantly improve stability and observability of all services in the Skillz ecosystem
- Enable and manage seamless upgrades of infrastructure and services through automation
- Leverage container platforms such as Kubernetes for large scale deployment of microservices
- Design, deploy, and manage Skillz’s infrastructure in public clouds (AWS or GCP)
- Identify, gather, analyze and automate responses to key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Ensure infrastructure security compliance
- Disaster recovery planning and regional failover testing
- Automatic scaling of infrastructure and services
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze and prevent repeat failures
- Develop and optimize continuous integration and deployment processes (CI/CD)
- Conduct periodic on call duties as needed on a regular scheme basis
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Fluent in one or more of: Go, Python, Java, or Ruby
- Deep knowledge of containerization and cloud services frameworks in both Kubernetes and AWS
- 4+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure or backend engineering
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
- Excellent skills in process, documentation, and change management.
- Experience with logging, monitoring, and alerting tools such as New Relic, ELK, DataDog, and PagerDuty
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.