Manager, Software Engineering
- Portland, OR
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What you'll do:
- You will be responsible for leading a team of top-talent engineers to build and deliver highly available, scalable and secure cloud infrastructure and platform services
- Develop and track detailed schedules, dependencies and critical paths
- Effectively collaborate with all project stakeholders i.e. Product Management and Mobile Client Engineers
- Clearly communicate with upper management any risk areas; come up with risk mitigation plans
- Encourage and drive initiatives which promote innovation and technical excellence
- Hire, retain, and develop the careers of the engineers on your team
- Coach and motivate your team to ensure high productivity and teamwork, and help each individual achieve their potential
- Interface with other internal teams to prioritize features and functionality based on the resources available and business priorities
- Conduct periodic on call duties as needed on a regular scheme basis
- Bachelor’s or Master degree (preferred) in Computer Science or equivalent and 8+ years of related experience in software industry
- 3+ years of experience managing and growing a high-performing engineering team
- Excellent people management skills - communication, teamwork, and leadership
- Ability to coach and motivate team members for their ongoing career growth
- Proven success leading projects in fast-paced, growing-organization environment
- Strong cross-functional organizational skills
- Fluent in one or more of: Java, Go, C++ or Ruby
- Deep (hands-on) experience in containerization, Kubernetes, cloud services frameworks, design and develop successful large scale distributed systems on public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience in operations, include running and maintaining software, operating a large public cloud deployment, creating and triaging alerts around the health and security
- Designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges
Back to top