Lead Mobile Engineer
- Vancouver, Canada
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
Skillz is pioneering the competitive mobile gaming experience, leveraging its patented technology to power over two billion esports tournaments a year. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports leagues and franchises.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Building Our SDK
Our team continuously strives to create engaging, innovative, and exciting game play for our players. We believe our platform is the future of competitive multiplayer, and we do everything in our power to make that future a reality. Are you an Apple fan? Do you love your Android phone? Either way, you’ll quickly become comfortable working with both platforms here.
We spend most of our time working in a React Native stack, but we embrace the chance to dive into native technologies as well. You'll work with player chat, our friends system, game play video streaming, over-the-air deploys, real-time matchmaking and synchronous game play support. As an SDK team member, you’ll be learning and working with many of these technologies, and their related tech stacks.
Producing a cross platform SDK is a hard thing to do. Our team is excited by these challenges, and takes them head-on. When we come up against a difficult problem, or a new technology, we make it our mission to forge a path to success. We take pride in being able to plan, estimate, and deliver complex asks on time, and consider our work a reflection of ourselves.
Does this sound exciting? Do you want to push yourself to new heights? If you’re bored when you’re not being challenged, then we want to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Play an integral role in building the future of Mobile eSports!
- Lead a team of engineers, driving career growth, mentorship, onboarding, and hiring.
- Become an expert and mentor in our fully cross platform iOS/Android development environment.
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building phenomenal products as much as you do.
- Take responsibility for estimating, planning, implementing, and deploying large features and releases, with the help of your teammates.
- Build exciting new features for our world-class multiplayer platform enabling competitions, tournaments and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world.
- Work with a variety of powerful front end technologies and languages, on multiple mobile platforms, including video streaming, player chat, React Native, real time game play.
- Deploy continuously-integrated over-the-air updates containing all the amazing work you’ve built to thousands of games and millions of players, instantly.
- Cultivate our diverse player base, currently over 18 million players, more than half of which are women.
- 4+ years of mobile development experience in iOS or Android
- 4+ years experience in a compiled language such as ObjC, Java or Kotlin.
- Strong desire to learn and use new languages and technologies.
- Experience planning, implementing and deploying large team projects.
- Strong organization, and written communication skills.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top