Head of Creative
- San Francisco, CA
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
Skillz is pioneering the competitive mobile gaming experience, leveraging its patented technology to power over two billion esports tournaments a year. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports leagues and franchises.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for:
The Marketing department is looking for a visionary creative leader who will guide and grow our in-house creative advertising team. As the Head of Creative, you will lead three critical functions: strategy, creative, and production. You will balance both creative and management skills to deliver best in class creative content while growing your team and driving process improvements. Your key challenge will be to bridge the gap between performance and brand marketing while delivering creative that supports a $100M+ per year annual marketing budget.
The Head of Creative partners with and reports to the Head of Consumer Growth.
The right candidate will play a critical role in the next phase of Skillz’s performance marketing and brand awareness maturation.
- Recruit, manage, and retain brilliant creative talent
- Drive creative development and lead integrated performance and brand marketing campaigns across social, programmatic, TV, OOH, and other formats as applicable in partnership with media buyers and external creative partners
- Ensure maximum creative effectiveness by setting, measuring, and optimizing short and long term key performance indicators
- Embrace consumer insights and research to deliver creative that resonates with the target audience
- Develop and maintain cross-functional relationships and best practices that delivers high quality creative while ensuring brand alignment and performance
- Negotiate critical contract terms and escalate to key stakeholders when necessary
- Identify, evaluate, and select appropriate vendors, tools, and software
- 10+ years of direct-to-consumer Creative Advertising experience
- 4+ years leading an internal creative team/department
- 2+ years of out-of-home advertising directly to consumers
- 2+ years of total professional experience in mobile advertising preferred
- Experience building out Creative and Brand teams of 20+ individual contributors and managers
- Experience bridging the gap between performance marketing and brand marketing
- BA or Advanced degree from leading institution preferred
- Track record of meeting and exceeding individual and team goals
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, creative, and communication skills
Personal Attributes and Values
- Self-confident, self-motivated, self-driven leader who will speak up and does not succumb to groupthink. Comfortable weighing in or articulating a contrarian point of view in a collaborative setting. Embraces healthy conflict based on a foundation of trust in order to reach the best possible outcomes. Capable of handling difficult conversations, does not defer them unduly, and can teach others how to do the same.
- Strong value-based approach to resource investment and departmental planning
- Pragmatic visionary who not only dreams but executes on transformational ideas
- World-class communicator who leads by example and inspires teams at all levels of the organization
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Back to top