Engineering Manager, Mobile
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Building Our SDK
Our team continuously strives to create engaging, innovative, and exciting game play for our players. We believe our platform is the future of competitive multiplayer, and we do everything in our power to make that future a reality. Are you an Apple fan? Do you love your Android phone? Either way, you’ll quickly become comfortable working with both platforms here.
We spend most of our time working in a React Native stack, but we embrace the chance to dive into native technologies as well. You and your team will work with player chat, our friends system, game play video streaming, over-the-air deploys, real-time matchmaking and synchronous game play support, as well as many more. As a leader in our Mobile group, you’ll be learning, working with, and teaching many of these technologies to your team.
Producing a cross platform SDK is a hard thing to do. Our team is excited by these challenges, and takes them head-on. When we come up against a difficult problem, or a new technology, we make it our mission to forge a path to success. We take pride in being able to plan, estimate, and deliver complex asks on time, and consider our work a reflection of ourselves.
Does this sound exciting? Do you want to push yourself to new heights? If you’re bored when you’re not being challenged, then we want to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Play an integral role in building the future of Mobile eSports!
- Manage a team of diverse engineers, driving career and skill growth, coordinating on-boarding and development workflows.
- Build out the Mobile group of our Portland Engineering hub, cultivating Skillz Engineering culture and dedication to excellence.
- Become an expert in our cutting-edge tech stack, facilitating architectural decisions and your team’s development.
- Own and support your team in estimating, planning, implementing, and deploying large features and releases.
- Build exciting new features for our world-class multiplayer platform enabling competitions, tournaments and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world.
- Work with a variety of powerful front end technologies and languages, on multiple mobile platforms.
- Deploy continuously-integrated over-the-air updates to thousands of games and millions of players.
- 3+ years of mobile development experience in iOS or Android.
- 5+ years of experience in professional software engineering roles.
- Have successfully managed a team of 5+ engineers for 3+ years.
- Strong desire to learn and use new languages and technologies.
- Experience planning, implementing and deploying large team projects.
- Strong organizational, and written communication skills.
- Start up experience strongly preferred
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top