WJLA-TV Spring 2019 Internship
Make your mark in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Sinclair Broadcast Group and Sinclair Digital Solutions are dedicated to making Sinclair a communications powerhouse! We are the largest and most diversified television broadcasting company in the country. Sinclair owns and operates, programs or provides services to more television stations than anyone and has affiliations with all major networks. Sinclair Digital group is focused on bringing the most engaging content to web, mobile and over-the-top broadcasting to audiences all over the country! Our success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believe in a vision and are dedicated ensuring a great future for our employees. Whether you are an industry veteran or a just starting out, you can find it at Sinclair! We are advancing the world of Broadcasting and we want YOU to join our winning team!
As a part of our commitment to community service and educational enrichment, ABC 7/WJLA 24/7 News (Rosslyn Location) offers a limited number of highly-sought unpaid internships aimed at providing a springboard for college students interested in developing careers in broadcast and/or cable television and human resources. These internships are offered to selected participants currently enrolled institutions of higher learning. Student interns will experience all phases of a major market television station's day-to-day operations as a supplement to their academic curriculum.
Internship Areas include :
- Research and pitch story ides
- Social media engagement through various platforms (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Write teases, banners and questions
- General News
- Shadow Reporters and Multimedia Journalist in the field
- Learn Assignment Desk basic duties
- Participate in Morning Meetings to pitch story ideas
- Assist with making the forecasts each day with Meteorologist on duty
- Help build graphics with our WSI MAX system, WeatherBug computer as well as our Baron's Radar
- Work in front of the green screen on presentation with feedback from a Meteorologist
- Learn how to use forecast soundings in BUFKIT to help make a forecast
- Good Morning Washington
- Field experience with Reporters & Producers
- Edit video using technical software
- Social media engagement
- Investigative News
- Set up and coordinate field interview
- Manage Seven On Your Side phone banks
- Worked with Producers, Photographers and Reporters to pitch story ideas
- Shadow Managing Editor in the field meeting various PR reps and freelance writers
- Manage social media accounts
- Pitch story ideas for future articles
- Shadow Photographer in the field for assistance at shoots and events
- Creative Services/Promotions
- Participate in community events with Reporters and Anchors
- Shadow Producers to learn how to write promotional scripts
- Attend photo shoots for promotions
- Research breaking sports stories
- Shadow Sportscasters in the field to include interviewing DC area sports team's players and coaches
- Write sports stories for the ABC 7/WJLA-TV website
- Web Operations
- Write and edit stories for the WJLA website and other social media platforms
- Follow and stay in the know of trending topics
ABC 7/WJLA 24/7 News internships are made available to juniors and senior registered in a four-year undergraduate program at an accredited college or university. Graduate students and students entering their second year in a two-year junior or community college program may also be considered. Applicants should possess declared majors in communications, journalism, broadcast production techniques or some similar related area. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. The applicant must receive academic credit for the internship experience.
You must be :
- A current college student who boasts a strong academic record
- Able to receive college credit for this internship
- A responsible professional who has prior internship and/or work experience
- A candidate with a terrific attitude who can work well with a team as well as independently
- A creative self-starter who can communicate effectively and work well under constant deadline
- Willing to work mornings, nights and/ or weekends to support our newscasts varying hours: We will do our best to work with your schedule
- If interested in working with Good Morning Washington: In addition to general requirements, must be able to work early mornings
If interested in Web Operations : In addition to general requirements, must have excellent writing skills. Experience with web content, video editing or content management systems is a plus, but not required.
You must submit the following :
- Cover letter: Please include answers to the following questions:
1) Which internship area are you interested in?
2) Why are you interested in working with WJLA?
3) What are your career goals?
- One letter of recommendation
- Copy of your academic transcript
Transcripts and letters of recommendation can be attached to your online application or mailed to:
Attn: Internship Coordinator
1100 Wilson Blvd, 6th Floor
Arlington, VA 22209
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Please note: New inquiries/resumes for Spring Internships will NOT be processed after Friday, December 15, 2018.
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Job Location Arlington, Virginia, United States
Company Location HR.WJLA.Washington DC.Arlington.VA
Position Type Intern
Back to top