News Assignment Editor (Part-Time) (8681)
Make your mark in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Sinclair Broadcast Group and Sinclair Digital Solutions are dedicated to making Sinclair a communications powerhouse! We are the largest and most diversified television broadcasting company in the country. Sinclair owns and operates, programs or provides services to more television stations than anyone and has affiliations with all major networks. Sinclair Digital group is focused on bringing the most engaging content to web, mobile and over-the-top broadcasting to audiences all over the country! Our success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believe in a vision and are dedicated ensuring a great future for our employees. Whether you are an industry veteran or a just starting out, you can find it at Sinclair! We are advancing the world of Broadcasting and we want YOU to join our winning team!
WGME CBS 13/WPFO FOX 23, in Portland, Maine, is a trusted brand providing Maine families with local news, weather, sports, entertainment, and social media content. We help grow the most talented people in television. You have the opportunity to work with a team filled with spirit, passion and imagination. We have an exciting opportunity for an aggressive, energetic and creative part-time News Desk Assistant to support our newsroom on its daily operations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Gather news affecting the community; read local newspapers, news wires and the internet to know stories and updates at all times
- Assist in the efficient operation of the assignment desk
- Generate and develop news stories
- Monitor police, fire and other scanners; make calls to various public safety agencies and other news makers for possible news story leads
- Update daily news coverage rundown, assigning reporters by various specialties, where applicable, to the coverage of stories
- Update headlines on station website. Seek out and post video material to website, when needed
- Meet with reporters to get story suggestions and leads
- Maintain communication links with reporting staff and continue to follow news developments
- Other duties as assigned
Required skills and qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Minimum of one (1) year of assignment desk experience
- Commitment to journalistic standards of ethics and accuracy
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Basic computer knowledge/word processing skills
- General knowledge and interest in local, national and world news
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter and emerging social media
Sinclair Broadcast Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Meet Some of Sinclair Broadcast Group's Employees
Director of Digital and National News
Our mission statement is connecting people with content everywhere.
Back to top