WCHS has an immediate opening for a Managing Editor/Special Projects Executive to oversee news content, on-air on our digital platforms for overall fairness, balance and accuracy. They will be the point person for long-term projects, election coverage, and special reports. As a newsroom leader, the expectation is that this manager will lead by example.
Some additional responsibilities of our Executive Producer will include
- Ensure content is distinct, disciplined, and disruptive on all platforms
- Work with field crews and producers to add context and perspective to our stories, as we dig deeper to find the "so what" in our reporting
- Work directly with the News Director, reporters, and anchors on special reports and special projects. Coordinate schedules, assist with research, keep a calendar of assignments, and regularly check-in with anchors and reporters on their projects
- Edit reporter packages and web copy. Review stories (digital and linear) to give constructive feedback to anchors and reporters
- Coordinate with field crews on publishing content to all platforms, beyond the regular web story. This includes Facebook Lives, raw interviews, and other compelling content
- This manager will be the newsroom point person for election planning and coverage, and SBG Town Hall events, both on-air and on our digital platforms
- Coordinate, book, post, and share all material from Connect to Congress, Beyond the Podium, and other similar segments
- Oversee daily newscasts to ensure we are serving our local communities by sharing relevant information to alert, protect and empower our audiences
- Train and implement all best practices from the SBG \"Newsroom of the Future\" playbook.
- Cover the Assignment Desk, as needed, and supervise assignment editors
- Proven track record of creating compelling and engaging stories across multiple platforms
- Ability to perform well under pressure, experience managing breaking news and meeting strict deadlines
- Ability to identify problems and provide solutions
- A strong commitment to journalistic standards and ethics
- Extraordinary people skills with an emphasis on coaching and motivating
- Strong understanding of how to drive digital traffic
- Minimum of 5 years producing in a television news environment or equivalent
- A college degree in Journalism or a related field is preferred
- Strong writing skills and a proven track record for getting results on initiatives
Make your mark in Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, a diversified media company dedicated to connecting people with content everywhere! We have consistently led the broadcast industry since our inception, and now Sinclair owns the largest regional sports network business and one of the largest television broadcast portfolios in the country. In addition, we have affiliations with all of the major broadcast networks, own Tennis Channel, and several multicast networks including TBD and Comet. Our content is distributed over-the-air, on multi-video providers, and through our industry-leading digital media platforms. We're at the forefront of NextGen technology, enabling innovative new ways to engage with broadcast content like never before. We also recently launched a free TV streaming service called STIRR. Our success is the direct result of our extraordinary employees and management team who believe in our vision and are dedicated to ensuring a great future for our employees. We are advancing the world of Media and want YOU to join our winning team!
About the Team
The life-blood of our organization is our people. We have a compelling story, a goal-oriented culture, and we take really good care of people. How good? Here is a glimpse: great benefits, open door policy, upward mobility and a strong desire to see you succeed. Ready to be part of a winning team? Let's talk.