Cloud Network Architect (8675)
ONE Media, a wholly owned subsidiary of U.S.'s largest broadcaster Sinclair Broadcast Group (NASDAQ: SBGI) is responsible for building out a nationwide wireless broadband broadcast network. The nationwide network is based on the new ATSC 3.0 standard adopted by Korea and the U.S. ONE Media is looking for development and deployment experts to lead our national ATSC 3.0 Broadcast Broadband rollout.
We are looking for a Cloud Network Architect
Sinclair is building out a sophisticated next-generation Cloud-based Broadcast and Wireless services network. This role will serve as the principal architect for this effort who will be required to perform highly complex analysis and design for every aspect of this network, and take technical ownership of its development, testing, trouble-shooting and optimization.
The architecture will be based on cutting-edge Private and Public Cloud technologies that includes a strong focus on Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) to cost-effectively, scalably and securely serve commercial and federal client requirements. The architect will analyze and apply the latest technologies leveraging Open Source Hardware and Software solutions where relevant, and building prototypes and leading proof-of-concept engineering design and development for the truly novel aspects. The work will require familiarity with legacy networking architectures and where relevant from a business and time-to-market stand-point, integration of the next generation architecture with legacy infrastructure. One of the key aspects of this role is to map SDN/NFV technologies appropriately to Sinclair's domain needs and work closely with internal engineering and external vendor teams in this domain space.
The architect will formulate and lead a robust testing strategy of this complex network both in the lab as well as in the field, working cross-functionally across many internal and external vendor teams. This will require proficiency in managing technology development relationships with multiple vendors.
The entire network design, development and deployment is expected to happen in phases, so the architect has to be an expert at phasing out the work, identifying clear milestones and deliverables for each phase, and tracking, coordinating and managing each phase and its individual projects in a very hands-on manner. This also includes the ability to clearly report on each of these phases and projects to peer teams and senior management.
The architect will play a critical role in vendor assessment and selection, identifying and building out the necessary team of engineers and technical staff, mentoring and guiding such staff at both senior and junior levels to meet project goals.
Solid grasp of IP and data technologies such as routing, security, caching
Expert level knowledge of Core Network technologies such as IMS
Expert level knowledge of third-party and open source solutions for SDN/NFV as well as for applications such as Element and Network management systems
Working level knowledge of other networks and Standards such as 3GPP, Public safety, CMAS, IoT and interfaces to consumer-oriented internet media services such as Netflix
Advanced experience writing design specifications and (as required) RFI/RFPs for vendors
Advanced experience writing test specifications, conducting field testing of advanced technologies, analyzing data, and writing test reports
Extensive experience presenting written and oral reports/analysis with clear recommendations to senior leadership for effective decision-making
Hands-on competency in Cloud development languages such as Java, Python, some basic languages such as C++ as well as architecture and development paradigms such as Service-oriented-Architecture and Object-oriented programming
Industry level understanding of roadmap technologies such as Machine Learning
- Experience with SDN controllers such as OpenDaylight
- Experience with SDN protocols, such as OpenFlow, NETCONF, BGP, OVSDB, XMPP, MPLS, PCEP
- Experience with data modeling languages such as YANG
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMware or KVM
- Experience with Cloud orchestration technologies such as OpenStack
- Experience with IP networking equipment from leading vendors such as Cisco, Juniper
- Experience with Cloud deployment in data centers and specifying data center requrements
- BS degree in CS, EE, Computer Engineering, or a related field
This is an opportunity for a highly energetic individual to leverage innovation in Software Defined Network (SDN) related technologies for delivering operator-grade Network Function Virtualization (NFV) based services. This person will be required to work with a team of developers, network engineers, security engineers, operation support engineers, and vendor partners to define, develop and test an auto-delivery system, which integrates with company's OSS/BSS systems, Engineering tools, etc. The candidate needs to perform the following duties on a day-to-day basis:
- Participate in the architecture, design and development of services and tools to enable an SDN first strategy
- Liaise with other solution architects in similar roles and global product management to define standardized solution baselines, application add-ons as well as industrialized delivery options
- Work closely with Business Unit Leads, acting as a subject matter expert in Cloud Solution Architecture and solutions, supporting our regional teams with their capability development and skills growth
- Architect and design cost effective alternatives for the service delivery of network and security technologies
- Drive and partner with the QA/Test, Operations and Product management teams as well as vendor partners to ensure high quality releases on schedule
- Evaluate technical aspects of competing products
- Identify, propose, architect and test (proof-of-concept or prototype) scalable and flexible solutions to support internal teams migrating, transforming, and/or developing applications in the SDN platform. Work with product management to collect product requirements and convert them to software development requirements
- Contribute to technical architecture peer reviews and solution design sessions
- Act as the last escalation point to resolve all NFV related engineering and architecture issues
- Document, partner, and share templates, techniques, and artifacts with other development teams
Required Skills and Experience
- Proven Cloud and Network Architectural Leadership in areas of applications, virtualization, network and security with Software Defined Network(SDN)/Network Function Virtualization(NFV) working experience; preferably a blend of data networking, cloud virtualization, and data security technologies
- In-depth working knowledge of large IP backbone network routing, such as BGP, OSPF and relationship to OpenFlow
- Hands on knowledge and subject matter expertise in IP networking technologies: Layer 2-4 protocols, IP network architecture, application traffic flows, cloud security architecture, and security best practice
- Proven hands-on experience in configuring firewalls, IPS, URL Filtering, and design of high availability cloud security systems
- Strong background in cloud computing, virtualization, SDN Orchestration, network and security service automation, such as CloudStack, OpenStack, Docker, Containers, OpenDaylight, ONOS, Netconfig, and Yang
- Proficient with Linux environments (Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS, etc.)
- Experience in Linux administration is a plus
- In-depth working knowledge of Service Provider networks and operational support processes
- Knowledge of how cloud services architecture projects/programs, technologies, processes and/or controls fit into both the Enterprise and Service Provider environment
- Design and development of scalable, mission critical and high-availability NFV systems
- Experience with different databases, including working knowledge of SQL, relational data stores and NoSQL databases. Experience using Agile scrum methodology and reporting progress through JIRA
- Good Virtualization knowledge on XenServer, Linux/KVM, and VMware vSphere
- Visionary team leader, who is self-driven, accountable, requires minimal supervision and is open to new ideas
- Ability to clearly communicate to executives, auditors, end users, and engineers, using appropriate language, examples, and tone
- Ability to work in a dynamic and complex organization, requiring creativity and flexibility
- BS Degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent experience desirable
- 10+ years in IP networking, Network Security, Network Operation, Managed Network Service Delivery, Cloud Virtualization, and Cloud Computing field.
- 3+ years in SDN and NFV field
- Familiarity with Project management tools such as Jira/Atlassian is desirable
- Willingness and ability to conduct meetings and field communication outside of normal working hours to accommodate teams based internationally, as needed
- Ability to work effectively with clients, senior management, staff and vendors
- Previous experience working with/presenting to an executive audience
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills required
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills required
- Travel as required
Meet Some of Sinclair Broadcast Group's Employees
Director of Digital and National News
Our mission statement is connecting people with content everywhere.
Back to top