Legal Counsel - Export Controls
Signify, the new company name of Philips Lighting, is the undisputed leader in the lighting industry. Our purpose is to unlock the extraordinary potential of light for brighter lives and a better world.
You will join the leader in the lighting industry and learn through disruptive challenges. You will be part of a global team, where performance is powered through diversity. Help us shape the future of light in the Internet of Things and work with us on our commitment to achieve a more sustainable future.
Join us and #findyourmeaning at Signify.
In this role you are subject matter expert for export controls within Signify's Legal Compliance team. Legal Compliance is part of the Legal department and the team is based in the Netherlands (in Amsterdam and Eindhoven). The role is located in Amsterdam, and reports to Signify's Head of Legal Compliance.
Together we can...
- (Further) build, deploy, maintain and monitor an advanced and solid Signify export controls compliance program
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regarding export controls
- Provide (legal) advice to a very broad range of internal stakeholders and functions (e.g., business, senior management, Export Controls Officers, Legal, Finance, R&D) on all matters related to export controls
- Maintain a strong, up-to-date and engaged Export Controls Officer Network within Signify
- Work in a multi-disciplinary Legal Compliance team with different expertise areas (export controls, antitrust, anti-bribery & anti-corruption and data privacy) and team members with different backgrounds
Open minded, curious and innovative and aligned with our company values and aims and you bring the following experiences and competencies:
- Academic background with a degree from a Dutch university or foreign university. A law degree/legal profile is a plus but not a must
- Minimum 5 years' experience as export controls/trade compliance/compliance advisor in a corporate setting (preferably at a large(r) corporate/multinational)
- Substantial knowledge of all relevant export controls laws and regimes (EU, U.S, UN regimes) and the Internal Control Program requirements
- Proven practical experience with relevant export controls topics (e.g., ECCN classification, license determination, business with sanctioned countries or persons) and representation towards government interactions (e.g., OFAC, Dutch CDIU)
- Good analytical skills, with an ability to translate laws and regulations into clear and practical guidance
- Good drafting skills (for contracts, policies, guidelines, advice)
- A good business sense, with an ability to make fast decisions and a determination to deliver high-quality work
- Hands-on, pro-active, flexible and/or firm as situations require
- Well-organized, with an ability to deal with (and prioritize) a high workload
- Willing to travel internationally (in principle infrequently) as required
- Comfortable with providing internal trainings and workshops to smaller and larger audiences
- Excellent communication skills in English (Dutch is not a must)
- Knowledge of and/or interest in other legal compliance areas (antitrust, anti-bribery & anti-corruption, privacy) is a plus, but not a must
Back to top