IP Legal Counsel
- Burlington, MA
We are Signify, the new company name of Philips Lighting.
We're the world leader in lighting for professionals, consumers and for the Internet of Things. Our passion for sustainability makes us one of the top 10 greenest companies in the world.
See#SignifyLifethrough the eyes of our employees!
Working as an IP Legal Counsel at Signify provides a unique opportunity for you to push your technical and legal education and skills into the business side of IP through the monetization and leveraging of Philips Lighting's substantial patent portfolio at this crucial period in which the lighting industry is being redefined and transformed due to the rapid adoption of Light Emitting Diode (LED) technologies.
This role falls under the US Intellectual Property Licensing team located in Burlington, MA . Its responsibilities are to m anage all aspects of IP for Signify and, accordingly, offers an excellent opportunity to learn and network with professionals throughout the world in order to increase your knowledge of intellectual property matters and to continue your professional development. You will be a contributing member of the Licensing Group working under the guidance, supervision and assistance of senior team members but with the opportunity to take on more responsibility and independence as additional experience is gained.
What you'll do
Participate in all phases of patent licensing and enforcement such as but not limited to:
- Identify potential licensees of a patent license program.
- Analyze products through reverse engineering efforts to investigate instances of possible patent infringement and prepare infringement analysis of products.
- Contact, engage, draft and negotiate intellectual property license agreements with third parties.
- Identify and prepare business cases for possible enforcement actions against infringers.
- Manage outside counsel regarding enforcement actions and/or patent validity challenges.
- Maintain a thorough up-to-date knowledge of IP law and related legal fields.
- An Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or comparable degree; advanced degree a plus.
- Must be comfortable being able to analyze electrical schematics
- A JD or LLB in Law from an accredited Law School is required
- Admission to practice law in at least one state in the US is required
- Admission to the USPTO (US Patent Trademark Office) is required
- Must have 8+ years of experience in a law firm or corporation performing patent prosecution, counseling or litigation.
- Must have the ability to understand patent claims and be able to create and understand claim charts and infringement studies
- Rare opportunity to gain licensing experience from a litigation or patent prosecution background (as applicable)
- Work on well-managed IP team that is truly valued as an asset to the company
- Cross-disciplinary team offers plenty of support, including US IP attorneys and international team members
- Gain experience and deep technical knowledge in a growing industry - LEDs, smart systems, and IOT
We're committed to the continuous development of our employees, using our learning to shape the future of light and create a sustainable future. Join the undisputed leader in the lighting industry and be part of our diverse global team. #LI-FM1 #WeAreSignify #SignifyLife
Back to top