Software Developer and Monitoring System Engineer
- Sacramento, CA
Siemens Mobility Rail Division has an immediate opening for an experienced Software Developer who would also work as Train Control and Monitoring System (TCMS) Engineer at our Sacramento, California Facility. The candidate will support the design and programming of vehicle control units for our Light Rail Vehicles. We are looking for professionals with the drive to work in the high paced rail industry to build new and innovative designs for our future vehicles.
In this role, you will assist the Engineering Department personnel to ensure proper execution of the design, compliance with industry standards and customer specifications. This requires the ability to develop software as well as understand all interfaces to other systems in the vehicle. Must be detail oriented and take ownership of projects. Must be able to work independently on projects to troubleshoot technical issues with minimal supervision.
The Software Developer and Train Control and Monitoring System Engineer:
- Works in a team with other system engineers and software developers.
- Interprets all customer requirements and translates them into software requirements.
- Presents the system functionalities to customers during design reviews.
- Interfaces with all vehicle sub-system system engineers.
- Cascades the customer requirements into detailed functional requirements.
- Writes functional specifications for the Train Control and Monitoring System.
- Converts requirements into logic diagrams, and into software logic functions.
- Develops control software for our innovative rail vehicles.
- Aligns the software relevant requirements with internal and external experts (e.g. suppliers) as well as with our customers.
- Designs and implements software components in alignment with the guidelines for safety-relevant software systems.
- Ensures the functionality and the efficiency of the data structures.
- Carries out code reviews to ensure the quality of the software development.
- Defines relevant test cases and carries out software tests.
- Continuously enhances his/her system know-how and takes over more and more complex design tasks.
- Supports testers and commissioning technicians on-site to troubleshoot and to resolve software related engineering issues.
- Writes software documentation according to IEEE 1558 (Software functional descriptions, software design descriptions, interface control documents, user manuals ...).
- Bachelor's degree in IT Engineering with 3 or more years of similar work experience (preferred).
- Associate degree in Engineering with 5 or more years of similar work experience.
- Experience in an industry designing and producing complex systems (rail, automotive, aviation, etc.).
- Expert in software development for embedded systems.
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and UML/SysML or C++ .
- Understanding of logic diagrams and software logic functions.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics.
- Rail Experience in Train Control and Monitoring Systems.
- Basic knowledge in propulsion and hardware development in rail systems.
- Familiar with the application of bus systems in rail or automation technology.
- Passionate about understanding complex problems and finding suitable software solutions.
- Knowledge of IEEE 1473, 802.3, 802.11 and 1558 or expertise in train network topology.
- Knowledge of IEC 61375 and SIL levels of IEC 61508.
- Willing to travel ~5%.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here .
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here .
Back to top